Wednesday, August 10, 2005

And now for something only slightly different...

We've all been pretty busy the past few weeks. Baseball finally wrapped up a couple of weeks ago so we tried to get a few last-minute blasts of summer in. It is crazy to think that C had been playing virtually non-stop since March. Still, right up to the end he was loving it- even regretting to see it come to an end. He and his buddies in the neighborhood still play every day.

One last gasp of summer came last week. We went camping with our neighbors (see pictures on the family site). It was a little stormy on the way down (I saw a funnel cloud) but a little rain is actually fun in the camper. On one of our Frisbee golf rounds, C and I had the talk. You know- "The Talk." I think it went pretty well. He is such a great kid. I thinks that's all I'll say about that for now.

We toured the school where the kids will go this year. Their usual school is being remodeled so they are going to one that had previously been moth-balled. We were all a little apprehensive about the change- especially since it is A's Kindergarten year- but I think it will be great after the tour. They are all excited even if they don't want to admit it. The school year starts Monday.

Right now the kids are in Muleshoe. I met K's mom in Post, Texas on Monday night to drop them off. It is sometimes alarming how badly you can miss someone before they even leave. I hated to see them go. I really love those munchkins. The night before they left MK pulled another tooth. The combination of seeing her gap-toothed, wrinkly nosed smile and A's teary eyes and C's vow to help take care of his sisters really tugged at the old heartstrings.

I felt guilty last night. K and I were going to go on a date (no kids and all) but she got another offer (a better offer actually) to go to a chick flick with some friends. She chose to go to a movie with me instead. As she put it, with the hope that comes from having the house to ourselves she could get me to see any movie- even a chick flick. But, as is common, we talked about the kids all through dinner and ended up skipping dinner to go home and work on stuff for her classroom. If not both, we are at least either fuddy or duddy.

Finally, I dropped off my application yesterday to go back to school. I'm still in conflict over this primarily because it is so incredibly expensive, but I actually think I will give it a try. Anyone know of any aid or grants or very generous gifts for non-traditional students married with kids? Actually, I think this is a field that will help me in my work no matter what I am doing. Even though I still hope that applies to what I am doing now, but if I am not blessed accordingly, perhaps I will be more marketable. We'll see.

Have a great week...

2 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Oh, to go back to school! Couldn't you fall under the category of faculty/staff children? I mean, I know she's your stepmother, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. 75% (or whatever it is) off tuition is a pretty good discount.

Tell Kendra that I need her desperately to help me set up my classroom and show me how to be a teacher again. I miss her so much!

Thursday, August 11, 2005 1:20:00 AM  
Blogger RPorche said...

What will you be studying, dude?

Thursday, August 11, 2005 4:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home