Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Rant

Lately I have been so disappointed in how we (myself included) live as so-called followers of Christ. The very basis of following Christ is wrapped up in denying ourselves. In our society this is something we simply do not do. Rather than try to correct this, we try instead to excuse it. The fact is, we cannot excuse it.

Lives of comfort were never promised but the opposite was guaranteed.

Lives of luxury were not encouraged, but were instead repeatedly the reason for warnings.

Pleasing men was not promoted by Christ but serving them was.

Nevertheless, we persist in turning our backs on this and instead finding teachings that are more comfortable to follow. In doing so we are not only failing to serve God to our greatest ability, but we are in fact harming Him.

What does it say when we buy a $75 shirt when $75 might have fed an entire third-world family for a few weeks? What does it say when we throw away functional furniture in the interest of the latest style when someone on the other side of town may not even have a blanket- let alone a bed? What does it say when someone may have vacation homes or other multiple homes when countless people have none? I think it say a lot about where our allegiences are... and quite loudly.

What would Jesus think of fashion? Is being in fashion even a Godly principle? The money our society spends in pursuit of being fashionable is staggering.

What about style? God created natural beauty, but is it in His design for people to manipulate the definition of beauty and in so doing make some feel worse about themselves instead of better?

What about luxury and oppulence? If you're reading this on your own computer you are easily among the wealthiest 10% of people in the world. How else is your status refelcted in how you live?

I am sorry for the rant, but I am sick of seeing how we continually congratulate each other for our virtue when in truth we are blind to our sinfulness. I have stopped reading so many blogs because they were filled with people-worship rather people-serving; with people-praising rather than praising God. Beating our chests and praying loudly on the street corner just ain't getting it done and that just makes me sad- especially when the bruised chest is my own.

7 Comments:

Blogger Clint said...

“Work out your salvation with trembling and fear”. When you find the answer please let me know.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 9:50:00 PM  
Blogger RPorche said...

Great post, Val.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 9:56:00 PM  
Blogger SG said...

Feel better? A good rant alwasy makes me feel better. I believe n everything you said but still fell completely at loss for how to balance it all in. My grandmother died last week and we talked alot about her life and how many people she and my grandfather impacted. They never lived in a house with more than 2100 sq ft. They drove modest cars and were known to give us five doallar bills or crocheted houseshoes for Christmas. Never once did we ever think of them as "cheap' or in need. They helped send orphans to college and gave generously to the church. I want to be like that. I'm not sure I even know where to start.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 10:21:00 PM  
Blogger Donna G said...

Amen...and "ouch".

Thursday, January 19, 2006 7:56:00 AM  
Blogger Candy said...

indeed. amen and ouch here too. i've thought about this alot myself. unfortunately it seems to be a lot more about thinking than acting. i heard you.

Friday, January 20, 2006 7:05:00 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Val, Wow..so true! I remember being on the plane with my 12 year old daughter returning from Thailand. She said, "Mom, it seems like we have just visited a country where they have nothing but would give you everything they had and returning to a country where they have everything but don't want to give up anything." Its so easy to just get caught up in the current of materialism. I know I am guilty of it. But its words from Whitney and writings from Mother Theresa and a friday morning blog from Val and a man hanging on a cross that make me want to be a Salmon and swim up stream....

Friday, January 20, 2006 9:21:00 AM  
Blogger Stephen Bailey said...

I had to come into the sewing room in my house to read your blog on my PC because my wi-fi is messed up and I couldn't connect on my laptop from the comfort of my living room couch.

Your rant is not only true, but honestly, it's a loving reproach and a warning we would do well to heed.

Saturday, January 21, 2006 8:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home