Monday, July 17, 2006

End of an Era

It was never in any of the Highland Connections that I received so some may not be aware that Kendra and I have been out of town for a funeral. My Grandma Edie passed away last Sunday. She was in pretty bad shape so her passing was really a blessing. Still, I think it has been pretty hard for my dad. As far as I was concerned, the person I knew had been gone for quite some time. It was still poignant to see her remembered by other friends and relatives and to hear stories about her life. She lived a life of hard work and sacrifice. She came to live with us after my mom died and I lived with her at her farm for a dozen summers or so. I could tell quite a few stories of my own and did tell a few as I delivered her eulogy. Most importantly, she was the matriarch of our family's faith. I will not pretend that I believe exactly what she believed, but I am grateful she planted that seed. So as the stories are told and retold this week I am glad, but as they have the opportunity to be told forever, I will be eternally grateful in a very true sense of that phrase.

2 Comments:

Blogger pawatson said...

Val, it was mentioned at Highland, and I hope it made the Highland Connection. It is hard to lose a parent or a grandparent, and in your case, it seems one was both. Family stories are valuable. We should write them down to pass on to the next generation. Our sympathy to your family. -Patsy Watson

Monday, July 17, 2006 9:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Val,
I was so sorry to hear about Grandma Edie.
It has been years since I've seen any of the Durrington family, but I think of you all often. I know your grandmother meant so much to all of you. She meant a lot to my family also. We loved her very much.

You are all in our thoughts and prayers.

All our love,
Jennell Stumpff-Mask and the Stumpff family

Friday, July 21, 2006 10:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home