Thursday, May 25, 2006

Sorry for the extended absence. Of course, much of this is due to the fact that our family has been extremely busy. Part of it, though, is because I sometimes feel like I just don't have much worth saying. I am not about to presume that the mundane, day-to-day details of our life are of much interest to those outside our family. Then again, there are those in our extended family who seem to want to know about the kids so at times I throw some of that out there, too; like today.

This is the last day of school. I sometimes wish I could feel that feeling again. It was awesome to walk away from that classroom feeling completely free and excited about the summer laying before me. I remember quickly shrugging off that hint of remorse that might suggest I would miss school or miss my teachers. The very idea! No, they would just have to try to make it without me. Sure, it would be tough at times, but they would get over me and get on with their lives eventually. They needed to be strong and eagerly anticipate the next year and the new group of students even if they would be a huge disappointment. That's how teachers feel, right? Well, my kids have the summer laying out before them, sort of.

Connor is still playing baseball, though this year has been greatly disappointing. Our coach speaks in sound bites and while what he says sounds good, he does not keep his word. This is really tough to explain to a kid that is both logical and trusting. Connor has done well this year, but I regret that this lesson is one we have had to learn in this environment. On the other hand, we are not the only ones who have figured it out. This guy has alienated just about everyone and frankly, for reasons that are way less than noble. I have stayed calm, but I am ready get to the point where we no longer have to deal with this individual. One more game before the city tournament. I think we can survive that long. By the way, to see what Connor looked like when I picked him up from school yesterday, check here.

Michal Kate has finished an awesome second grade year. Her teacher, Mrs. Moser, was perfect for her personality and Michal adored her. Now she is looking forward to a few camps and just having as much fun as she is able to find. I intend to help her in that endeavor in whatever way I can.

Addie also had a teacher for which we were very thankful. Mrs. Brown was so sweet and nurturing, but she had a pretty strong-headed class and I am sure she is ready for a rest. If they ever rattled her, however, she never let it show. Even though our normal school campus was being remodeled this year and for one year everyone had to move into an old school, it seems like the kids and teachers adapted very well and had a successful year.

Work is keeping me very busy. I am becoming more hands-on as far as the ranch is concerned. It certainly makes life more interesting, but it also has me away from the office more, which causes things there to pile up. Still, we're going to make it work.

A weird thing happened this week to Kendra's new car. The back window spontaneously exploded. A teacher at her school happened to be standing several yards away when it happened. The big "BOOM" scared her to death (almost). Of course, it is not covered under the warranty (one more reason to be a little disappointed in Lithia Honda) and the $350 replacement cost is less than our $500 deductible. It is stuff like this that makes it easy for me to refuse lottery tickets. It does not rain luck where I am standing.

Well, Kendra's mom has gotten re-married. We met her new husband the other day (after the fact). Honestly, he seems like a great guy. I am happy for her and frankly, for all of us. I look forward to getting to know him better in the years to come. He and his kids are quite financially successful and that's great, but I am already a little tired of hearing Kendra's mom compare us with them in ways we don't measure up. I hope this is just a phase that passes soon.

We're going to Missouri soon for a heaping helping of the old South. I know Missouri isn't exactly the old South, but the experience will be. We are going for Memorial Day (or as it is also called there, Decoration Day). It is basically dinner on the grounds of the old cemetery where my grandpa, mom and sister are buried. And though it is something I remember from every Memorial Day growing up, my kids have never experienced it. This year we did not have a Saturday baseball game so I decided we should do it. It is a long trip for a weekend, but I'm kind of stupid that way. Perhaps we'll have some pictures up next week on the other blog.

That's it for now. Thinking back, I suppose this post has been a bit snarky. I'll try to do better next time.

1 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Hey Val, I'm from SE Missouri... and my mom's family used to get together every first weekend of June for a "graveyard cleanin'." It's part family reunion/potluck and part workday, where you get to tidy the cemetery around the old churchhouse and then chow down on good home cooking. Sounds a little similar to what you all have planned.

Thursday, May 25, 2006 3:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home