Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Am I Blue?

I was pretty late to join those reading Blue Like Jazz. Part of that was intentional because if something is all the rage I tend to resist it somewhat. Frankly, though, part of it was because I tend to take on bad reading habits when I am having to read for classes. A little of that funk is starting to wear off.

Anyway, I found it to be a pretty good read. Probably 75% of the book resonated with me. The other 25% (maybe less) just seemed to be contradictory. I guess it was the contrast between the 75% I liked reading and found to be enlightening and invigorating and the 25% I could have probably written since I, too, can be a contradiction. In other words, I'm as bad or worse but then again I'm just writing on a stupid blog, not writing books. Still, among many ideas in the book that jumped out at me was the following quote, which to me makes the whole book worthwhile.

At the end of the day, when I am lying in bed and I know the chances of any of our theology being exactly right are a million to one, I need to know that God has things figured out, that if my math is wrong we are still going to be okay. And wonder is that feeling we get when we let go of our silly answers, our mapped out rules that we want God to follow. I don't think there is any better worship than wonder.

-Donald Miller
Blue Like Jazz

2 Comments:

Blogger Keith Brenton said...

I resent what you said about this blog.

Take it back, or I'll be forced to contradict it.

Saturday, May 17, 2008 9:35:00 PM  
Blogger Stephen Bailey said...

Also from Miller, "It turns out the droplet of our knowledge is a bit lost in the sea of our unknowing." We're starting a series on Ecclesiastes today, so this is all very timely.

Sunday, May 18, 2008 7:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home