Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Redeemed! How I what now?

Growing up, I did not have much of an opportunity to be involved in sports. To make a long story short, I was raised by a single parent who thought (and still thinks) that work was more important and most sports are fixed. My son, however, loves sports. He plays baseball, soccer, basketball and runs for distance. He also loves watching sports. Basically, he is studying games rather than merely watching them.

I'll never forget the first time he realized that people actually make a living playing sports. Instantly his career path was mapped out. I warned him that not many people actually got to that point, but that point was lost on a cocky 7 year-old(at the time). So I also warned him that he might be playing in front of thousands or even millions of people thinking that his shyness might prevail. He was not at all concerned about that.

Next I told him that he warned him that as a professional athlete he would have to talk to a lot of people and conduct interviews. I thought this might discourage him somewhat because he is such a quiet, serious brainiac. It did give him pause, but he decided it was possible to deal with it if it allowed such a vocation.

Finally, I told him that girls would constantly be seeking his attention and wanting to be around him. That almost did it. He looked disgusted at the thought and he really thought it over before he decided it was a sacrifice he could handle. Perhaps he just remembered he might be holding a bat.

Anyway, I was watching an SI special the other night with him (not of the swimsuit variety) and there was mention of how some athlete had redeemed himself by excelling in some element of the game after previously making a huge blunder. It occurred to me that the speaker did not really apply the concept of redemption correctly. Because we have been redeemed after making a blunder of our lives, but not through anything we have done. In fact, the source of our redemption is the very One most impacted by our mistakes. My redemptive moments are made more obvious and more necessary when I make mistakes, but they are not of themselves a means to any positive end. Lord, I am sorry for the daily object lessons. Thanks for being so willing and so patient.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home