Sunday, March 13, 2005

Cookin' the Books

Well, I had posted something a few days ago, but our friends at Blogger misplaced it. I waiited a few days for it to show up, but to no avail. It's really a shame, too because although I can't remember exactly what I said, I do remember it was awesome and life-changing. Oh, well.

As far as the latest round in the song contest, the mystery song was guessed by someone anonymously. It was "Moon River" by Andy Williams. Along those lines, I still have no regrets about taking "Anonymous" comments. I know there are people who do not allow them for several reasons, but until my family or I am either threatened or the recipient of something especially crude or obscene I will probably keep allowing them. But if that happens, that will be the end of that policy. The simple possibillity of having someone disagree with me seems a pretty lame reason for rejecting comments. If my opinions are so weak that they cannot withstand scruitiny, perhaps they are not worth presentation. Sorry if that sounds harsh but I am around too many naive people who mistake silence for acceptance. (Now where should I store my soapbox until I need it again?)

Now, on to our game. In working on my taxes, I kept wondering how some people get away with "cooking the books." I used to know an IRS agent and she was a battle-axe; the type of which I would never want to cross. But those thoughts led me our topic:

BOOKS.

Good luck.

12 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

'Who wrote the book of love?'

Monday, March 14, 2005 9:29:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, "Who Wrote the Book of Love?" as performed by a little 10th grade Val was phenomenal...brought the house down! :)

"Everyday I Write the Book" by Elvis Costello

Monday, March 14, 2005 11:09:00 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

lol!

Monday, March 14, 2005 11:28:00 AM  
Blogger Donna G said...

Hermans Hermits- What a Wonderful World

Don't know much about history
Don't know much biology
Don't know much about science books
Don't know much about the french I took
But I do know that I love you
And I know that if you loved me too
What a wonderful world this would be


Diary- Bread

Monday, March 14, 2005 2:48:00 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

The B I B L E, yes that's the book for me...

If they asked me I could write a book
About the way you walk and whisper and look
I could write the preface on how we met
So the world would never forget
I Could Write a Book, Harry Connick, Jr.

When things get bad and you can’t stand to look
It’s time to read to the end of the book
End of the Book, Michael W. Smith

Well I finally read the good book, and I took a good long hard look
At what I'd do if I could do it all again
Live Like You Were Dyin', Tim McGraw

Monday, March 14, 2005 4:06:00 PM  
Blogger Mae said...

No more pencils
No more books
No more teacher's
Dirty looks
Out for summer
Out till fall
We might not come
Back at all!

Alice Cooper ~ "School's Out for the Summer"

Monday, March 14, 2005 8:04:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So Many Books, So Little Time -- Michael Card

From the 80's band Book of Love --"Pages From by Book of Love"

You can't judge an apple by looking at a tree,
You can't judge honey by looking at the bee,
You can't judge a daughter by looking at the mother,
You can't judge a book by looking at the cover.--Bo Diddley

And a favorite:
My love is like a storybook story.
But it's as real as the feelings I feel.
My love is like a storybook story.
But it's as real as the feelings I feel;
it's as real as the feelings I feel.--Mark Knopfler (princess bride)

Monday, March 14, 2005 9:03:00 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

"And baby, you're so smart, you know, you could've been a schoolbook."
from The Way You Do The Things You Do by The Temptations

"Carried your books from school, playing make believe you're married to me, you were fifth grade, I was sixth, when we came to be."
from My Eyes Adored You by Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons

"I can’t do my homework and I can’t see straight, I get up every mornin’ ‘bout a’half past eight, I’m actin’ like a lovesick fool, you’ve even got me carryin’ his books to school, hey, hey set me free, Stupid Cupid stop pickin’ on me"
from Stupid Cupid by Connie Francis

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 7:06:00 AM  
Blogger Katherine said...

All right, I have to join in this fun game:

We've got CD sets and videos, radio and TV shows, conferences, retreats, and seminars...
We've got BOOKS and magazines to read on everything from A to Z, and a web to surf from anywhere we are...But I hope with all this information buzzing through our brains, that we will not let our hearts forget the most important thing...

Is love, love, love, love, love! :)

From Steven Curtis Chapman's "All About Love"

Tuesday, March 15, 2005 11:22:00 PM  
Blogger Corey said...

Alright, Val. After observing a little while, I gotta play this one.

Turn the Page - Bob Seger

The Book I Read - Talking Heads

Love in the Library - Jimmy Buffett (not what you think!)

Anything by Book of Love (deep 80's)

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 4:49:00 PM  
Blogger Corey said...

Wow...guess I should have read Nino's comment first. Way to go into the deep tracks, Nino.

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 4:50:00 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

"The book of love is long and boring
No one can lift the d(ar)n thing
It's full of charts and facts and figures and instructions for dancing
But I, I love it when you read to me
And you, you can read me anything..."

I'm not sure who originally sang it, but Peter Gabriel's version is on the "Shall We Dance" soundtrack, and I just love this song! It's also a great movie, if you haven't seen it. :)

Wednesday, March 16, 2005 9:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home