Friday, February 25, 2005

Food for the Soul

Well, Mae was yesterday's winner with "Have You Seen Jesus my Lord?" As such, she chose today's topic. There are probably several that go with this topic but again, there will only be one mystery song. The topic today:


FOOD



By the way, that does not include drink.



Now on to another matter. I am merely thinking out loud here and I get a little wordy, so you may just want to ignore the rest of this.

I have been pondering of late the impact of being direct with others versus being passive. My nature ordinarily leads me to be rather direct. It honestly is not borne of any desire to cause friction. I just think that honesty is, if not the best policy, at least a pretty darn good one. I am learning, however, that: 1) many people do not want honesty and 2) sometimes passivity accomplishes more.

I suppose if we stop there it is a classic example of the end justifying the means, but should we stop there? Falling back on that argument can lead to other pmistaken notions; for example: no matter what the outcome, if the intentions were honorable that should suffice. Our welfare system is a classic example of that. It is horribly broken and of the dollars poured into it through taxation less than 20% actually reaches the intended recipient. Nevertheless, whenever the system is critiqued the responding outcry lauds the intentions while ignoring the core issues. Ah, the implications of hellish road surfaces.

I bring all this up because I began my current job as a proponent of the direct approach. I have learned, though, that when logic goes ignored sometimes passivity accomplishes so much more. For instance, at one job I have had someone wanted to pursue a project that by every possible scenario would be a financial disaster. I pointed this out as directly and logically as I knew how but was told to press on. At this point, I pondered the fact that my charge was to manage assets in a fiscally responsible way rather than be a yes man. So, I drug my feet in the appointed task until the folly of the project became clear. In other words, passivity accomplished what needed to happen when direct behavior failed and we avoided a disaster.

So, this kind of brings me to a crossroads. What path should I choose in life? Do I become more passive and possibly accomplish more through manipulative but cordial relationships or do I be honest and direct and leave no doubt while possibly allienating others? Frankly, this is a question people are forced to answer every day at some level and we usually choose the former over the latter. But is that what we really want? We say we want real community, but when it has an edge to it we revert to the cushy surface relationships. I guess this really is more than just a random rambling thought. This inquiring mind actually wants to know.

22 Comments:

Blogger Donna G said...

Cheeseburger in Paradise- Jimmy Buffett

Eat it- Weird Al

I long to be more direct in my life but find myself instead tip-toeing around important things to avoid conflict. I wouldn't say this is the path I have chosen, just the one I tend to end up on.

Friday, February 25, 2005 9:48:00 AM  
Blogger Clarissa said...

"Food, glorious Food!" From the musical "Oliver!"

"Cream-colored ponies and crisp apple streudels" from The Sound of Music's "My Favorite Things"
(The ponies are NOT the food, by the way, just the streudels.)

Friday, February 25, 2005 10:09:00 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Friday, February 25, 2005 10:26:00 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

My Cheeseburger (Veggietales)

Do You Love Me? (Do the mashed potato)

Friday, February 25, 2005 10:28:00 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

-Come Share the Lord
-Blueberry Hill
-Hotel California (gathered for big feast)
-Macarthur Park (who in the world leaves cake out in the rain anyway?!)
-Sugar Pie Honey Bunch

Friday, February 25, 2005 10:35:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Your Love is Better than Ice Cream"--Sarah McLachlan

"The Candyman"--Sammy Davis, Jr.

I'm not surprised that the two I immediately thought of involve ice cream and candy.

Val, I don't know that it's really "passive" to move slowly on something you know is a poor choice. Ben Carson, the famous surgeon from the book "Gifted Hands" has a great quote about wisdom...that it's not just knowing and doing what needs to be done, but also not doing more than needs to be done. Perhaps you exercised slow-moving wisdom...slisdom.

Friday, February 25, 2005 10:40:00 AM  
Blogger Susan - said...

"Fruit Salad" by the Wiggles

Friday, February 25, 2005 11:27:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm your ice cream man,
Stop me when I'm passing by
All my flavors are guarenteed to satisfy

Van Halen

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Buying bread from a man in Brussels
He was six foot four and full of muscles
I said, "Do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich

Man Down Under
Men at Work

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Friday, February 25, 2005 12:07:00 PM  
Blogger SG said...

Pour some Sugar on Me Def Leppard

Buy me some Peanuts and Cracker Jacks I don't care I we ever get back

Mashed banana Mashed banana
Wiggles

Bye Bye Ms American Pie
Drove my chevy to the levy
But the levy was dry

Oh I wish I were an Ocsar Meyer Weiner!!!

Friday, February 25, 2005 12:20:00 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

animal crackers in my soup...

Friday, February 25, 2005 1:37:00 PM  
Blogger Beaner said...

DAAAY-O! (bananas)

Friday, February 25, 2005 2:07:00 PM  
Blogger Mae said...

"and the smell of Sunday chicken after church..." ~ Kenny Chesney -

"Where I come from, it's cornbread and chicken..." ~ Alan Jackson - Where I Come From

"Peanut, peanut butter and jelly!" ~ Kindergarten special! :)

Friday, February 25, 2005 2:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rock Lobster -- B 52's


Being a good steward of relationships often involves discernment of other people's response to direct vs. passive. Also, don't confuse passivity with dishonesty.

C.

Friday, February 25, 2005 2:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Spoonfull of Sugar"
Mary Poppins

"Be Our Guest"
Beauty and the Beast

Friday, February 25, 2005 2:48:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, the fruit of the spirit's not a cherry; the fruit of the spirit's not a cherry; but if you want to be a cherry, you might as well hear it, you can't be a fruit of the spirit...

Adam Sandler's "Sloppy Joe"

2 all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles onions, on a seseme seed bun

OK Somewhere I though the limit was three. Is that true? I've got one more that doesn't directly talke about food but it does refer to "eating"

Friday, February 25, 2005 3:38:00 PM  
Blogger Val said...

Permission granted to disregard the three song limit. Still no takers on the mystery song.

Good comments Anon C. I don't happen to think that passivity and honesty are mutually exclusive. But often, the pursuit of passivity avoids honesty while still steering clear of blatant dishonesty. It may not be an un-truth (how's that for a double negative) but it is still not the "whole truth."

Friday, February 25, 2005 5:16:00 PM  
Blogger Niki said...

My bologna has a first name
it's O-S-C-A-R . My bologna has a second name - it's M-A-Y-E-R. Oh I love to eat it everyday and if you ask me why I'll say...cause Oscar Mayer has a way with B-O-L-O-G-N-A! (how's that?)

Friday, February 25, 2005 10:12:00 PM  
Blogger Niki said...

BTW I prefer to be direct, and I prefer people who are direct with me. I don't have the time or the energy to play guessing games with those who are afraid to express themselves. I don't mean to sound harsh. I think the key is using tact when being direct. Yes, it's all in the delivery. That's not always easy and I have by no means perfected it. I just feel like being passive is manipulative, or maybe I'm confusing that with being passive-aggressive. College Psych was a long time ago! HaHa

Friday, February 25, 2005 10:23:00 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Shoo Fly Pie and Apple Pan Dowdy

Veggie, Veggie, Fruit, Fruit

Saturday, February 26, 2005 7:48:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

broccoli, celery, gotta be veggietales
lima beans, collared greens, peachy keen, veggietales

you walk in like a dream, peaches and cream, lips like strawberry wine

if all of the raindrops were lemondrops and gumdrops, oh what a world this would be...

Saturday, February 26, 2005 1:25:00 PM  
Blogger Val said...

Well, the mystery song this time was "Dumas Walker" by the Georgia Satellites.

...We'll get a Slawburger, fries and a bottle of ski, bring it on out for my baby and me.

Nobody got it this time, but there were still some great songs mentioned.

Saturday, February 26, 2005 9:08:00 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I was just about to guess that one.

Saturday, February 26, 2005 11:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home