Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Weekend Warrior

As it turns out, I am one of those guys that will get into a project that I have no business attempting. Traditionally, this has not been the case. If something looked the least bit beyond my area of experience I would get someone else to do it. But one of my friends, Davy Crockett (his real name, by the way) told me I wasn't bold enough and should try more stuff. This weekend was one of those times I tried.

We decided we needed a storage building in our back yard. I had a small one, but I did not have a small amount of stuff so we needed to add to it. As it turns out, a guy that owed me some money had the capability (supposedly) of fixing one up for me that was 12' x 24'- slightly larger than a one-car garage. I determined I could move it myself and I managed to get it loaded on a big trailer on Saturday (no small feat) but I knew I would likely need help getting it into my yard so arranged for help on Sunday afternoon. After snaking my way across town avoiding low trees and power lines I got to my house and told my buddies my plan for unloading. They all scoffed and pointed out that white collar guys just didn't have much common sense and insisted they knew the better way to go about it. Two and a half hours later with darkness falling, the neighbor's driveway blocked (they were very gracious about the whole ordeal) and the building now wedged between my house and a tree I finally took over and enacted my own plan. About fifteen minutes later I had it on the ground in my back yard and there were no injuries. There was much rejoicing. This is a very short version of a long ordeal that I hope never to repeat and these are the lessons I learned.

1. If you are underneath a building weighing more than a few cars that is precariously suspended, you can pray really quickly when you hear any creaking and popping noises (or perhaps in this situation pooping noises).

2. If you can arrange delivery, it is worth the price- no matter what.

3. People are intrigued by idiocy and consider it a spectator sport.

4. Val, thy name is idiot.

5. Kendra is very patient.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenni said...

I will absolutely AMEN your #2 - any price to have something delivered (or moved) is sooooo worth it!

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 11:28:00 AM  
Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Look--anytime someone named Davey Crockett tells you to do something, that's your first clue that it's trouble.

I would love to have been a fly on the wall (or tree).

Tuesday, October 04, 2005 1:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home