Thursday, September 15, 2005

Oddities and a Watusi

Over the past 24 hours I have had a few odd conversations on the telephone. Not particularly interesting- but odd. Here are some transcripts.

Me: Hello?

Them: What are you doing?

Me: Well, I am talking on the phone like I have been doing non-stop for almost three hours.

Them: Well it sounds to me like you need to get off the phone and get some work done like somebody with a real job.

Me: Good point. (click)

(Man that felt good! Even if they did call back immediately in a foul mood.)

Here's another. I had received a message to return a call to someone identifying themselves only as "Pastor Smith."

Them: Hello?

Me: May I speak to Pastor Smith.

Them: Yeah, this is Justin (or maybe Jason).

Me: Yes, sir. I am responding to a message I received to call you, but there was no indication as to why.

Them: Who are you?

Me: Val Durrington.

Them: Why did I call you?

Me: I'm sorry. I don't know.

Them: Hmmm... Do you work with bees or cash registers?

(Looong pause)

Me: Umm. What kind of church do you work for? (Actually I just said "Umm... no.)

Them: Well, if I figure out what it was I'll call you back.

Me: Okay, I guess. (click)

-------------

Today I rode around a ranch with a multi-millionaire. He had a pet watusi. Apparently it is an animal as well as a dance. We found it laying in the shade. It had HUGE horns that were bigger at the base than my thighs and probably each one was about six feet long. The rancher honked at it and it got up. I am pretty sure it could have totalled the truck with very little effort. The rancher spoke up, "I was gonna have us get out and pet it because it really is gentle, but he actually looks like he's not in a good mood." Mr. Watusi just kind of looked at us as though he were only mildly interested in us but it was the kind of interest one might have for a pesky fly they were thinking of swatting. We left.

-------------

I am almost done writing the first round of papers for my class. The second half of the class is next weekend here in Abilene. For part of the next class I will need to be in Dallas so if you know of a place to stay let me know, although I may just get a hotel so it is more conducive to studying.

-------------

Also, if anyone knows of someone looking for a house in the Brookhollow area in Abilene, let me know. I expect to have one for sale within the next 2-3 months.

-------------

Here is the worship order for Sunday:

Highland Church of Christ
September 18, 2005
Worship

Worship Leader: Val Durrington


2- We Praise Thee O God
screen- Shout to the Lord
screen- Salvation Belongs to Our God

Call to Worship: Psalm 63-1-5
“All Who Are Thirsty”
71- As the Deer
The Lord’s Prayer

1st ~ 3 years through Kindergarten to God’s Garden
15- Step By Step

Matthew 5:3-12
screen- Come, Ye Sinners
Message: Holy Hunger In a World of Gluttony ~ Mike Cope
screen- Hear Our Praises

Communion
Thoughts & Prayers ~ ?
837- I Need Thee Every Hour (1-3)
“The Cup of Christ”
837- (vs 4)

Tithes & Offerings
Special Announcement ~ Jenevene Hester
Family Concerns: Dickie Porche
Pastoral Prayer ~ Rob Cunningham / Gary White

Benediction: Isaiah 55:1-3a ~ Mike
591- Who Can Satisfy My Soul Like You?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Val,
You can always stay in Plano..

Gene

Friday, September 16, 2005 10:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home