Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Checking in...

I have been working on a Christmas mix CD. It is rather tough to narrow some of these down, but here is what I have. I need to point out that I wanted to include the "Peace On Eearth/Little Drummer Boy" duet with Bing Crosby and David Bowie but apparently Martha Stewart has bought the rights and you can only get it on iTunes if you buy an entire album of Christmas Cocktail Party Songs or something like that. Well, at this weird point in the cosmos where my tastes have coincided with those of Martha I have to put my foot down. Martha, I think you got railroaded on the whole insider trading deal, but give me a break. I will not buy an album for one song. That is what iTunes is all about (not the Hokey Pokey). I am afraid my list will just be incomplete. Otherwise, I think it is a good list. It is not all the songs I love but I love all these songs. I think it is an interesting mix of artists and styles, but I would still welcome any thoughts on something I may have overlooked. One other note: I love instrumental pieces, but I did not include them because the message already has a tough time being heard.

Let it Snow! Chicago
It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year Johnny Matthis
Angels We Have Heard on High "Palmy" of Veggie Tales
Christmas (Baby, Please Come Home) U2
Twelve Days of Christmas Relient K
Hark! The Herald Angels Sing Take 6
Go Tell it on the Mountain Steven Curtis Chapman
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas James Taylor
Santa Claus Is Coming to Town Jackson 5
It Must've Been Ol' Santa Claus Harry Connick, Jr.
Silent Night Mercy Me
Sleigh Ride The Carpenters
The Christmas Song Nat King Cole
Merry Christmas Baby Eric Clapton & Sheryl Crow
All I Want For Christmas Play
Wonderful Christmas Time Paul McCartney
O Holy Night Josh Groban
Joy to the World Broadway Inspirational Voices
White Christmas Aaron Neville
Auld Lang Syne Relient K


Go with me on the Veggie Tales song. It is awesome at any age and one of my favorites. Other than that, here are some other songs that got honorable mention: Christmas Tears, Eric Clapton; Christmas Blues, B.B. King; Merry Christmas From the Family, Robert Earl Keen; and more. Any glaring omissions?

Also...
I haven't been blogging much lately. All of my writing has been for the private audience of sadistic professors (you know who you are). I haven't even read a blog in at least a week and a half. I have had enough traveling to do lately during the holidays that it seems a waste to add ego trips to the mix. Yet that is what so many blogs have become. I think it is a little dangerous, frankly, to feed one's self esteem so freely. A fat ego is not a heathly one. So feel free to take your shots at me. I allow anonymous comments for this very reason. I think it is easier to keep my opinion of myself in check if I allow others to do it, too. This does not mean that personal attacks are appropriate, but I think you understand. I'll be back in a week or so, but in the mean time I may post some repeats. We'll see...

4 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Josh Groban's "O Holy Night" has to be the best version I've ever heard. It sends chills through me.

I can't celebrate Christmas without Vince Guaraldi and the Charlie Brown Christmas cd, though.

Oh, and I always like the Crosby/Bowie duet as well. Martha is not cool. (But didn't Clay Aiken do it, too? Unless you are unequivocally opposed to Clay, that could be an option.)

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 1:38:00 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Val, go back to the ITune music store and look for Bing's Christmas cds... it's on a couple of those. But it does include "dialogue" between him and David; I think it must have been recorded from the Christmas show David appeared on with him.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 1:44:00 PM  
Blogger Stephen Bailey said...

I would just like to state for the record right here on Val's blog that I am "unequivocally opposed" to Clay Aiken.
Good list Val.

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 9:18:00 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

"What's a partridge?
And what's a pear tree?
I don't know, so please don't ask me.
But I can bet those are terrible gifts to get."

Relient K can only add happiness to anything. Glad you picked it. I don't understand, though, why you aren't including the Barking Dog Jingle Bells.

Wednesday, November 30, 2005 11:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home