Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Wordsworth v. Skynyrd

Pursuant to a recent remark on materialism and also touched on by Stephen, I have in retrospect decided that Lynyrd Skynyrd might have hit upon it better than Wordsworth. Who would have thought? Consider these lyrics:

Mama told me, when I was young
Come sit beside me, my only son
And listen closely, to what I say.
And if you do this
It will help you some sunny day.

Ohh take your time... Don't live too fast,
Troubles will come, and they will pass.
Go find a woman and you'll find love,
And don't forget son,
There is someone up above.

(Chorus)

And be a simple kind of man.
And maybe some day
You'll love and understand.
Baby be a simple kind of man.
Won't you do this for me son,
If you can?

Forget your lust for the rich man's gold
All that you need is in your soul,
And you can do this if you try.
All that I want for you my son,
Is to be satisfied.

(Chorus)

Boy, don't you worry... you'll find yourself.
Follow you heart and nothing else.
And you can do this if you try.
All I want for you my son,
Is to be satisfied.

(Chorus)


Perhaps this song uncovers a missing beatitude. In the middle of so many other blessings offered for traits that seem unattractive in today's society, it occurs to me that calling someone simple is not especially complimentary. But I think that there is merit to simplicity. To understand that "one thing" that Curly suggested in City Slickers may not be possible to many but to trust in that "one thing" could be our only hope rather than to pursue many "things." I may at times question or doubt, but ultimately satisfaction is unattainable unless I simply trust in that one thing. All things considered, I want to be a simple kind of man. I'll schedule some time to work on that when I get a few minutes.

3 Comments:

Blogger Donna G said...

I knew I liked Lynard Skynard for a reason...... I know you thought it was just for Sweet HOme Alabama!

Wednesday, November 02, 2005 4:47:00 PM  
Blogger Stephen Bailey said...

"Life is either awfully simple or simply awful."
- E. Stanley Jones

Thursday, November 03, 2005 10:57:00 AM  
Blogger Keith Brenton said...

I think Richard Foster - and many others - are onto something in their uncomplicated pursuit of simplicity.

Friday, November 04, 2005 8:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home