Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Teach On

A funny thing happened on Friday. My wife had to get a substitute for the morning for her second grade class because she had to attend a workshop for a few hours. To be fair to this poor woman, Kendra says this is a pretty difficult class.

She has an unusually high ratio of problem kids with enough individual issues to write a book explaining why working to teach wombats how to ice skate might be a bit more fun even if it were a lateral career move. Nevertheless, it kind of melts my heart to hear her speak so endearingly about them with such longing for their future and respect for them no matter how rotten the rest of the world might think they are. What some may see as a little monster she sees as a child; a child who possibly lives in horrible circumstances of abuse but is still sweet. A child who is already flashing gang signs in second grade to the immense pride of his family even though his basic nature is to be positive and kind.

Back to the substitute: she unexpectedly chose to take the class to lunch over a half hour early and then she walked straight to her car and drove away! If Kendra has ever felt tempted to do the same, it has never shown. If she feels it is unfair to have so many of the problem kids put in the same class, she has never said so. She merely works hard to show Jesus to some kids who might otherwise struggle to find Him. I am proud of her even if the world devalues teachers and schools and their relative worth.

3 Comments:

Blogger Donna G said...

That is funny...and having tortured many a substitute teacher in my youth....I can understand!!

Thursday, September 21, 2006 7:36:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I think about it almost every time I'm in the classroom -- and sometimes it is ONLY my professional respect for my awesome teaching partner that keeps me from doing it.

Thursday, September 21, 2006 5:27:00 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I agree with all that! Kendra is a wonderful teacher and every day I wish I were more like her.

On another note, what a terrible sub! I cannot believe anyone would do that.

Friday, September 22, 2006 7:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home