Thursday, June 14, 2007

Spurs

To me, it seems like it is only right and expected to support the home team. I am not trying to apply this to whether or not one should support the USA or anything. It’s just too popular to hate America both within and outside our borders. Rather, I am talking about supporting those from your own state… and since there is no State of Perpetual Confusion, I’ll have to stand up and defend sports teams from the State of Texas.

Specifically, I’m speaking of the Spurs.

It is not popular to support the Spurs this year. Even though they are in the finals this year. Even though they stay on the sports page instead of the police blotter. Even though they are known for serious team play at both ends of the court. Even though their tattoo per player ratio is rather low. Even though they are from the great State of Texas. Even though they just aren’t very flashy.

The fact is, everything that most coaches ask for- from even the earliest levels of athletics- is on display when the Spurs play. They involve the whole team. Players off the bench are an integral part of the game plan. There is not one person who is the obvious choice on a last shot. There is not a single player who is a fixture of their offense and in turn, there is not one person on whom the other team’s defense may focus.

The Spurs do not make news for inappropriate behavior off the court. They do not draw attention to themselves in cocky ways. They shun publicity for publicity’s sake. They sport less skin art as a team than many single players on other team do.

In short, they behave professionally and focus on the job they have to do rather than the circus surrounding that job.

And people hate them because they are boring.

The fact is, they have not become boring through a change in their behavior. Rather, they appear boring because over the years the rest of the NBA has become a ridiculous caricature of bizarre behavior.
It has been said that much of the appeal of NASCAR is tied to the fact that the major figures in that sport are people similar to us or someone we know. I don’t know if I completely agree with that, but maybe I do as it relates to the Spurs. Truth be told, I am a pretty boring guy who would love to be known as the kind of guy who just takes care of business and works in a way as to bring out the best in others. Admittedly, I have a LONG way to go. The Spurs, however, appear to be as close as any professional team I know. As I write this, they are on their way to winning yet another championship because of it. People may be bored by that or choose not to watch them do it, but if they at least understand how they do it, it is a lesson well-learned.

6 Comments:

Blogger Keith Brenton said...

It is true that they do not go jingle-jangle-jingle as they go ridin' merrily along.

I respect that.

Friday, June 15, 2007 7:40:00 PM  
Blogger Clint said...

Our society is changing fast. The media is trying hard to make a man, who just had his second son by his girl friend, into a superstar. Go Spurs Go we are on the road to five.

Friday, June 15, 2007 8:02:00 PM  
Blogger SG said...

well said, as always! :)

Monday, June 18, 2007 2:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Val, I used to hold you in high regard until I read your blog on the Spurs. Now...I think you need to go check your eyesight and take off your rose colored glasses. There is a reason the Spurs are the most unpopular champion in all of sports in the last 100 years.
The Spurs are a dirty, cry-baby, poor me attitude team. Period.
They have the dirtiest player in the league on their team (Bruce Bowen). The fact that David Stern and the NBA let him get away with the stunts he pulls (i.e. intentionally kneeing Steve Nash square in the balls!!) is appalling.
Unbelievably, after 9 years of playing in the League, Timmy Duncan still hasn't committed a foul...in his opinion. He pouts and shows the refs his golf-ball size bug eyes each time the whistle blows saying, "who? me?"
Their coach, wines and cries to the referees more than any coach in the NBA.
Sure, Val, that's exactly what you want little leaguers and little dribblers to learn...play dirty and argue with the referees/umpires. The Spurs are indeed a great example to all.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 10:46:00 AM  
Blogger Val said...

Truth be told, Mike, Steve Nash is my favorite player in the NBA. In fact, I thought it was a big joke for Dirk to get MVP this year. Nash makes everyone on his team good, not just himself and this makes him valuable. Of course, I must say that this is psrt of Duncan's appeal as well. I also have to admit that I was a little disappointed in his flop after the contact from Horry. Yes, it was a bad foul from Horry but not as blatant as the flop indicated. Even Nash forgot how hurt he was pretending to be when he jumped up ready to fight about a second and a half after making it look like it might be a toss-up on whether to call an ambulance or a hearse. As far as Bowen's nut shot, that was a horrible non-call, I agree. But nowhere did I suggest that dirty play was what you want to encourage in kids. Rather, I like the model of a functioning TEAM and not just a few superstars. If you prefer the idea of just letting one kid get all the play time and glory while all the others sit back and watch, then I fear we'll just have to disagree. And the popularity of the Spurs or lack thereof has more to do with the small market than with their style of play. But you know what? I still hold you in high regard- and not just because you're taller than I am.

Sunday, June 24, 2007 8:21:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Val, Val , Val...You won't find a bigger proponent for T.E.A.M. play than me. There is nothing better than seeing a player like Nash or Jason Kidd score 12 points, get 8 rebounds, and have 15 assists. That is the type of player I wanted to be and the type of player I want my kids to be...unselfish and no one being more important that the TEAM. In fact, I wish failure on teams(like Cleveland (LeBron), Washington (Arenas), and L.A. (Kobe)) who promote superstar over TEAM. But as far as the Spurs go, if they had different players on their team and still played the same style, I'd probably respect them too!!
See you Thursday nite at Dixie...and I'll take a Dixie burger (medium well), no cheese, mustard, onions, jalepenos, and tomatoes.

Monday, June 25, 2007 10:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home