Sunday, May 06, 2007

Rough Weekend

I made it through the weekend.

I suppose that's not a big deal. If anyone is reading this, they did as well. Still, there were many times late last week and during the weekend when I had my doubts. I told one friend as much and she said dismissively, "Then why are you smiling? You're fine."

Honestly, I did not feel fine. It was a bit of a perfect storm with many elements converging overhead at one time-
-some factors of my life at the high-maintenance alert level RED.
-unexpected commitments requiring a great deal of resources to meet.
-a paper due 10 days before I thought it was.
-a house sale to close.
-a credit card company who chose to cancel our card despite a solid 13 year payment record, simply because some charges we made for the Little League ($19 total) looked suspicious for fraud. They said they were going to get around to calling us (they didn't) to see if the charges were legitimate (they were). The fraud prevention department at Chase is horrible and does not at all seem to care.
-rehearsals to plan and lead for Sunday worship.
-an unexpected party for a friend in town briefly.
-planning for a Saturday funeral that proved much more difficult than expected.
-just being a dad.

By Saturday evening, though, the storm was starting to subside. I turned in the paper early so I wouldn't be able to worry about it any more, the funeral was a nice service, the worship rehearsal went okay, one of the POAs for the closing got done before the people signing winged their way to China, I decided to never again use the Chase credit card except for redeeming the 75,000 miles or so I built up, and a nice game of bocci on the front lawn seemed to settle things to the point where I could actually worship on Sunday morning rather than go through the motions while my mind was consumed by other things.

So, "I made it through the rain." (Crystal Gayle)
I managed to "break on through to the other side." (The Doors)
I got "one more last chance." (Vince Gill)
"I will survive." (Gloria Gaynor)

Now awaiting the dropping of the other shoe.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

FUNNY, I SPOKE WITH AFTER SAT. SERVICE-- AND IN MY EYES YOU SEEMS SO CALM AND RELAXED -- AND DID A WONDERFUL JOB !!!

Monday, May 07, 2007 11:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home