Saturday, November 10, 2007

Update(s)

First, Dad got back from M D Anderson today. They actually started a treatment regimen. He will continue said regimen here in Abilene and only go to Houston periodically for check-ups. (Coincidentally, as a young tike that is how I pronounced ketchup, "checkup.") There is some relief to the fact that he has actually started some kind of treatment after 2 1/2 months of frustration. Now its "wait and see."
_____

The house remodeling that was supposed to be done over a month ago continues with family coming in about 9 days. Kendra and I have been sleeping on the floor for two weeks. Our clothes have been in the living room and garage. Everything in our home is covered in a fine- oh, who am I kidding- thick layer of sheetrock dust. Our dog has not had a fenced yard for 2 months. The work being performed is often at best sub-standard and I am under the gun regarding time and therefore cringe when I make them do something over because I know it just delays things further. If you are in the Abilene area and need work done, be sure to ask me about who not to use. Actually, he was a bit of a last resort. I called several people who would never call back and this guy came recommended and ready. Actually, parts of it have been better than I dreamed. The finish work, however... well, I'll stop before I say something inappropriate.
_____

I took a friend to the doctor yesterday in San Antonio. It was actually a nice trip for a day. He asked me to go back and visit with the doctor with him. It was kind of funny. The doctor came in with the X-rays and two young MDs. My friend's case was so unusual that the doctor could not hide his excitement over the value of the teaching moment. Still, he also showed an appropriate amount of concern. It was oddly humorous even though I felt he struck a good balance.
_____

Tenors at Highland are getting hard to come by. I now have two teams needing tenors. I am open to suggestions. Actually, tenors may not be my biggest problem tomorrow. My allergies have been so bad this week that I may not be able to sing. Maybe I should be more interested in finding a worship leader instead of a tenor. On the up side, my head is so congested that I cannot hear the mosquitos all the workers have let in while they work on our house.
_____

While the trip to San Antonio and back made for a rather long one-day trip, having a fantastic wife greet you at the door makes it easy to shake the road-weariness and remember why it is so good to be home.
_____

I have several friends who are in transition phases when it comes to their employment. I have been there and I think it is safe to say that I totally freak out when I am between jobs. That having been said, pray for people in that circumstance that peace will prevail until that next, better thing comes along. Or maybe just pray that that thing comes along very soon.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Val- glad your father has some treatment regimen in the works! I know you have been concerned for some time. We pray everything will turn a corner for you guys.

As for tenors, have you tried Mark Riggs? He's a math prof at ACU. His daughter just married the Maxwell boy.

We can certainly emphathize on the house situation- all of it. I totally agree with you about the level of quality workers in this area. So far, I've only met one who is worth the energy.

-TMS

Monday, November 12, 2007 10:04:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home