Wednesday, July 21, 2004

And that's the way it is...

As I read the blogs of others (something I have not gotten to do much this week) it appears that the subjects cover every hash mark on the line between the profound and the mundane. And although the profound end is not nearly as populated as the authors might have hoped, I fear that I have also failed to leave much of an impression there. So, now for something completely mundane.

Our family has been very busy this week. My son, Connor, is playing in his second baseball league this year. The season calls for games every night for two weeks. It has been fun, but extremely hot. He is so good at this game and I love watching him because he loves playing. He is really in his element whenever there is competition in the air.

Michal Kate has also had a big week because she lost her first tooth. She calls the gap where her tooth was her "sunny space." I have always gone a little weak in the knees whenever she makes this wrinkly nose smile, but now that it includes a "sunny space" I turn into a puddle. If she knew what that does to me she would have a new car for every day of the week and more. I am such a sucker for those kids.

Finally, Addie is also having a great week because today was her birthday. Our baby is 5. She is convinced that this magic day on the calendar has had amazing effects. She is significantly taller, she can draw her own bath, she can take the bossiness up another notch and more. Her party is Saturday and once again Kendra (the pretty woman I conned into marrying me) is facing the predicament she created by having to try to live up to the nearly impossible benchmark she has set with numerous other children's parties. I keep trying to tell people that expectations are much easier to achieve if the standard is established at a lower level but no one listens to me. That's okay; who needs the pressure of a bunch of people hanging on your every word?

As far as my week has gone, I have been busy as well- especially today. I traveled to San Angelo today stopping at one of the ranches on the way there and back. On the way there I thought I saw a goat stuck in the fence along the side of the road near Coronado's Camp. I was running late, but I made a note of where it was and determined to check on it on the way home and see if it had gotten free. Well, on the way home (from a successful trip) I was running late again, but sure enough- the goat was there. I pulled over and checked on him. He was alive but dehydrated and fading fast into a meal for coyotes within a few hours. I worked him out of the fence and watched him stagger off in search of water. Then I jumped in the truck and broke more than my share of traffic laws to get to a birthday dinner for Addie. After that I unloaded the truck, served two eviction notices, found a third house sitting unexpectedly empty, handled three business calls and still made Connor's game.

I am pooped.

But all in all, what a blessed day. Safe travel, good company in San Angelo, a great job, and returning to a family that I could not have imagined could be this perfect. My conservative upbringing always tosses a little cloud over good days and great blessings as I wonder when the other shoe is going to drop. Well, the fact is, God does not want to lower the boom on us. Satan is the father of that lie. Sure, bad things will happen to good people and many have befallen our family in recent years. But if we lean on God and not on our own understanding of events in this life, the clarity of that purpose will overcome any cloud Satan throws our way. And while I may wonder about things like that, one matter of which I can be assured is that God has already provided a great day for us that will come no matter what. So whether the days are rough or whether they are the "salad days," an even greater day is coming. Like my sister used to say, "This is not all there is- and I'm so glad."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home