Friday, January 21, 2005

Children

We have heard that Satan roams around like a roaring lion seeking those whom he may devour. His desire, of course, is to steal, kill and destroy us and our hope in our Creator. Now having identified his method, where does that leave us in trying to understand a motive?

For those of you who are parents, this will be an easy question. If someone wants to harm you, what will emote the strongest possible reaction? When someone asked that question yesterday I immediately pointed over to my kids saying, "Going after them." And that is exactly why Satan goes after God's children. Whether or not people see or believe the cosmic battle between good and evil, it exists. However it is quite one-sided in one way. Nothing in heaven or on earth can directly harm God. Nothing. Nothing is stronger, better, wiser, mightier or in any other way as powerful as our Creator. Therefore, it is only obvious that the Father of Lies cannot defeat the Wisdom of the Ages. But Satan has figured out how to hurt God indirectly- by going after his children. God hurts any time we hurt. And if all good things come from God, it stands to reason that pain and suffering come from Satan as a direct attempt to harm God's family. Satan loves to plant seeds of doubt wherein we wonder why God caused something to happen or even let something happen, but if we dwell on such things we are missing the point. God does not cause these things or even choose for such things to occur. Satan attacks us and God provides a salve.

I am an "Already But Not Yet" Christian for those who have heard Mike Cope discuss these matters. And as such, I do not think God tries to become intricately controlling in our lives- especially when living itself is terminal. That would lend way too much importance to something that is temporal. I do, however, think He becomes intricately involved in our lives by caring for us and hurting when we hurt and grieving when we grieve and rejoicing when we still choose God's way despite Satan's efforts to steer us elsewhere. Believing this acknowledges that there are time of darkness and times when our love for Christ grows weak. But it also recognizes that no matter how dark the valley, God has overcome it.

Although I know people disagree with me on this and even think this view is blasphemous, I think that, for me at least, this view may be a good explanation of what going on in this world. I do not think that God is a puppet-master, choosing or daily steps and becoming intricately involved in the minute details of our lives. I do, however, think that God gave us discretion and judgment to use it exercising our free will. In this arrangement, good things happen and bad things happen according to the movement of this flawed world. But through all of that, God wants to either hurt with us or rejoice and be an ever-present help in times of trouble and in so doing point us to a better world. A world that is more than just this world which he has overcome. A world that is not temporary. A world that is the destination, not just the journey. To overly emphasize this world would be missing the point. The point is that in spite of what happens in this world, God wants us to endure it, and then still choose Him. His promise is that we will not be alone as we endure it and I think events such as those of this week show that.

Now in espousing such a view, I have been accused of placing God in a box. I think it is actually quite the opposite. I am not saying there are limits to God's power. I know He can choose to change the course of history if wants to. But in a way, that suggests that God's interest is limited to this world- something we know is not true.

5 Comments:

Blogger Keith Brenton said...

I started pondering God's Will and God's Wont before Christmas; then the tsunami brought the question to the forefront for Wade Hodges, Carson Reed and so many others (like Jon Owen recognized the role of Satan in the whole mystery. Then Mike Cope wove the "already but not yet" threads into the fabric of the theodicy question, when the accident that injured Chris and took Brody brought it all too close to home. I think we all keep turning pages back to Job, who suffered and grieved and asked all the questions we want to ask of God, and finally just had to live with the mystery.

But if God weren't all-powerful, all-knowing, all-good AND all-loving, there would have been no Jesus Christ walking among men.

Otherwise, a lounge chair at the other end of the universe and a really big remote control with lots of buttons would have sufficed.

Instead, He chose a cross.

Friday, January 21, 2005 4:19:00 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

Not a lot of time to type right now, but I had to say this: your comments echo so much of the message of Revelation to me, especially Chapters 12 and 22. The dragon can't touch the Christ-child, so he makes war on his followers. That narrative, along with the promise of a new creation that is free of tears and pain, has been on my mind a lot lately, especially this week.

Friday, January 21, 2005 9:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Val,

While I am a daily reader of many blogs, including yours, I am a VERY infrequent commenter (Guess you wise and witty blog-land folks both intrigue and intimidate me!) But, I had to comment to you today as it seemed you summed up much of what has swirled through my mind this week. Thank you for sharing your thoughts...I find them not blasphemous, but inspired..and more than that a challenge. Isn't one of this life's greatest tests that of enduring all this fallen world can dish out and STILL choosing to believe God? Still choosing to keep walking in the trust that this world is not all there is?...in fact maybe it is not the point at all?

Anyway, thank you...I love reading your writings and I find myself viewing you as a special friend even though I only occasionally see you from a distance at church...thats one of the things that makes the body of Christ so special.

Keep on writing brother..I'm reading.

Cheryl Cunningham

Saturday, January 22, 2005 12:47:00 PM  
Blogger julie said...

Val, your post made me want to share a story from this horrible week we have just experienced. While the kids were praying with Jackie on Sunday night I was sitting in a chair in the atrium and I could see Karen and Betty praying across the room. I sensed from across the room that powerful praying was going on. I walked over to ask and let them know that I had taken part in their prayer even without the words. Betty had been praying for Satan to back off...back off from our church family, back off from our injured kids, and from our emotionally wounded teens. We had such an amazing Sunday morning...big stands taken and family felt and unity displayed...and now Satan was attacking. Even now when I think about her words my eyes fill with tears and my mind starts to reel.
Thanks for you blogs and continuing to think.
grace, Julie Danley

Saturday, January 22, 2005 3:51:00 PM  
Blogger Candy said...

These comments and your post brought tears once again to my eyes, especially knowing these prayers were going up on Monday night. I was in with the kids who were on the trip. It was apparent that prayer was indeed going on for us. I found out on Tuesday that First United Methodist Church was having a prayer vigil for the 3 hours we were talking to our kids. Now that is the Body of Christ. Then last night the prayer time with the surrounding church's teens was another sacred holy time. I believe God is hurting with us. I believe He is using these prayers as a salve. He is using the miracle stories and stories of brave young teens to rejoice with us and show us the way to His better world, our final destination. I think you're right, Val. Already but not yet.

Monday, January 24, 2005 7:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home