Thursday, January 13, 2005

Danish Blah

So yesterday, with the sky a lovely shade of khaki, I of course began to reflect on various things. First, I considered a quote I heard on Sunday: "Children cannot become anything better than what they see modeled." While I understand the intent of such a message is to give impact to the role we play in being examples to our kids- a very important fact, the quote itself is wrong or we would be part of a society that is hopelessly and perpetually declining. Besides that, I have faith in people to recognize mistakes. That's how we got rid of Jimmy Carter. Well, that and mortgages at 18% APR.

I saw an old friend this week who I used to bank back in the day. One thing I enjoyed about banking back then was the fact that I learned at the feet of some old-school bankers. These were the kinds of gentlemen who took formulas and ratios into consideration, but also were aware of value in others things as well. As far as this friend goes, there were special considerations where he was concerned. He had a salvage business wherein he might suddenly find a deal on new but discontinued merchandise and need a tidy sum to buy it. However, it might be the type of inventory that would last him for a long time. This is not a typical cycle that fits ordinary formulas, but he kept very strong balances with me and always performed exactly as he promised. Nevertheless, after I left the bank, the new owners shut him down, ruining him, and slitting their own throats in the process. It truly made him a broken man- especially sad because it was so unnecessary. In the years since that happened, he has had financial problems which may have led to some marital problems. Much worse than all that, a few months ago his 13 year-old daughter took her own life. He is now working as a hired hand for a business here in town and still gives off a cheerful countenance when I see him. It really gets to me when I think of all he has been through. Sometimes people go too far in the name of profit.

Perhaps somewhat related, what is the deal with all of the animosity toward Wal-Mart? I honestly don't get it. Sure they are a powerhouse, but I cannot believe the flack they take compared to other businesses or industries. In a stretch, people claim they underpay their employees, but they pay an average wage of twice the federal minimum plus they offer a benefits package that no collective bargaining by any union has ever achieved within the industry. I guess it's popular to hate the big dog, but I just don't get it. I have nothing to gain from being on either side; I'm just observing. So many other major businesses and industries go unnoticed and they are actually doing things to chip away at lives and livelihoods.

I'm tired now. Sorry to bore you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Donna G said...

As a former banker I totally relate to what you are saying. I love the fact that we used to do business with a handshake, and people honored that committment. I am not sure which came first the withdrawal of the hand of the failure to perform but I still believe that to a large extent, people will act like you EXCPECT them to.

Not bored at all.

Friday, January 14, 2005 8:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home