Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Stars v. Scars, Lights v. Plights, Gifts v. Rifts

When this time of years rolls around, we get to hear about many top ten or even top one-hundred lists. Well, if we were to make lists of the most repeated mantras during the holiday season, I really believe we would find that we hear more about how depressed we should feel than we hear about the message of Christmas itself. In fact, we hear this dark message so much, that I wonder if we are enabling self pity rather than encouraging people to move past it.

I understand that the holidays can be a very difficult time. I would argue that I understand this very well. On December 23, 1973 I lost a Grandfather to a heart attack. Merry Christmas. One year later on December 24, 1974 I lost my mom. I was five. Merry Christmas- and wasn't it a Happy New Year? And while I struggle with the notion of being upbeat and positive and often with overcoming dark feelings, Christmas seems an odd time to succumb to these tendencies. While it is true that the first Christmas was anything but pageantry, it is also true that viewed as a whole the other 364 days a year have a strong share of sadness, difficulty and grief for so many in this world. Therefore, is it so wrong to try and pursue the joy that comes with Christmas despite the strife that may try to seep through? I don't think so. Clearly, when these feeling do get through, it is appropriate to deal with them. But is it possible that when we concentrate soley on disappointment and grief that we are fulfilling our own prophesy?

Today, amid the happiness of another Christmas with my wonderful family, I felt the old tug of melancholy, the first step toward darker things. Admittedly, it was a little tough to shake off. Sure, some time with great family, neighbors and even a boldly "fat" guy and his "good time" friends helped, but what seemed to help the most was a conscious effort to direct my mind toward the blessings I enjoy and the hope that some of this season's message will take root and in so doing, overcome some seed of evil somewhere. I encourage you, also, to think about such matters- that and Christmas cookies.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Love you, brother. Merry Christmas. Thanks for sharing this.

Monday, December 27, 2004 3:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home