Friday, February 11, 2005

What do you do? (Don't say Watusi)

I was thinking yesterday of the way Nino and I used to play this silly game during the monotonous hours of driving in the old ACU vans. Someone would suggest a topic and then we would see how long we could keep thinking of songs that related to that topic. For instance, if "love" were the topic one might sing back, "She loves you! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!" Just a suggestion, though, if you ever decide to play that game: Do NOT choose "love" as a topic. It will take forever. At the other end of the spectrum might be songs that mention "The Watusi." (I can think of two) Instead, be a little more creative. I'll toss one out right now. Any songs on that mention "promise?" Good Luck....



Now on to other matters. How do you handle it when you see someone you care about is engaged in behavior that is destructive? From listening to others discuss things, we no longer live in an era wherein we are justified in holding one another accountable, so is it indeed proper to merely love them and pray but otherwise remain uninvolved? What if the issue is drugs? What if it is dangerous relationships? What if it is financial irresponsibility? What if it is illegal? What if it is dishonest? Is there, in fact, a proper way to reach out in loving accountability without portaying venomous condemnation or is any non-affirming message immediately discounted as unfair judgment? What do you do? Right now, it seems the only acceptable condemnation is that directed at ultra-conservative right-wingers. But if that is our reaction to them, are we not becoming like them- partaking of the same venom, but merely spitting it at each other? Wandering minds want to know.

10 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

"Promise me that all you say is true, that's all I ask of you."

Friday, February 11, 2005 8:58:00 PM  
Blogger Clarissa said...

"Standing on the promises of God."

Saturday, February 12, 2005 3:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I cross my heart
And promise to
Give all I've got to give
To make all your dreams come true."

"I Cross My Heart"- George Strait

Saturday, February 12, 2005 10:05:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

nice, like this idea!

The promise was love and the promise was light, the promise meant life to the world. Living proof Jehovah reigns for the name of the promise was Jesus.--M. Card

Sunday, February 13, 2005 5:32:00 AM  
Blogger RPorche said...

"Nothing compares to the promise I have in You." --Darlene Zschech

"You are my hope, and Your promise never fails me." --"I Cry Out"

"I will be true to the promise I have made." --Steven Curtis Chapman

Sunday, February 13, 2005 10:27:00 AM  
Blogger Donna G said...

I could love you like that
I never make a promise that
I don't intend to keep
So when I say forever,
Forever's what I mean- All 4-One

But, I am really interested in the answer to the other part. Where do we draw the line on involvement and when do we have to realize we are out of our league and over our heads? I too want to know.

Monday, February 14, 2005 10:10:00 AM  
Blogger David U said...

Does "Poems, Prayers, and Promises" by John Denver count?

As for your other observation, I wonder how it GOT to the point that "right-wingers" are the only ones that it is acceptable to attack. One could conclude that if they are being attacked, then they aren't the ONLY ones attacking. Interesting concept! :)

DU

Monday, February 14, 2005 11:02:00 AM  
Blogger SG said...

You made me promises, promises
You knew you'd never keep
Promises, promises
Why do I believe? Naked Eye

Someone once told me that this game started as a drinking game. We used to play this in the car all the time. We also played "I Never" which is also said to be rooted in a shot glass. Funny how you can make any game good or bad if you try hard enough.

I would also like to know how we can be iron sharpening iron when we can't cause any friction without being the bad guy.

Monday, February 14, 2005 3:06:00 PM  
Blogger Clarissa said...

"Oh, Promise Me"

"Oh, promise me that someday you and I/
Will take our love together to some sky/
Where we can be alone and faith renew ..."

It's in a wedding songbook I used to use a lot playing for weddings -- old-timey love song.

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 12:15:00 AM  
Blogger Candy said...

I think that if we pray first and ask the Spirit to speak thru us we can then go to our loved one and speak the truth in love. We are not called to judge or condemn anyone. We are only called to love them. So, if we confront in love and not judgment and condemnation it stands to reason God will be there to bless our words. I am one of those people who is not at all prone to confrontation. I like to keep the peace. But I would like to think there are people out there who love me enough to tell me when they see me doing something harmful. I also pray I would be gracious enough to hear them out and not judge them in the process. Maybe the first thing to do as we open these kinds of conversations is to ask them if we can begin with a prayer. Maybe I live in a dream world. It just seems like this process should work. Aren't we promised His covering if we ask for it?

Tuesday, February 15, 2005 6:54:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home