Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Stand by for controversy. Usually stuff just rolls off my back, but lately some of the stuff I have heard has implicated some people I care about.

Anyway, though I have not devoted much time to blogging while studying in recent weeks, I have read a few things lately in the blogs that mercilessly bash public education. I suppose that’s fair, to a point. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. That is, unless someone’s opinion is at all critical of home-schooling. Then the claws really come out. I have been shocked, frankly. Why be so defensive? Am I missing something? I mean, many of the home-schoolers lead the charge against public schools and rather than restrict their criticism to specific situations, appear to paint with a massive brush and criticize not only the systems (no matter where the school or make-up of the board or commitment of the teachers) but the teachers and parents who have chosen accordingly. Is that fair? I don’t think so, and yet I don’t hear the defensive response from that side.

My best friend’s wife home-schools their kids and she does a great job. Further, I have other friends who are well-trained and providing a good education in the home. So that’s great. But in spite of the fact that I know people for whom it works, it would be ridiculous to assume that there are no problems at all in home-schooling. Nevertheless, the response to any criticism suggests it is above any reproach. It is true in my own experience to say that the majority of the kids I have had in class at church that have little respect for adults or awareness of how to behave in class are home-schooled, but not all of them. Frankly, one little girl in our kindergarten class is just about the sweetest little thing I have ever seen; respectful of teachers and encouraging to the other students and she is thriving in a great home-schooling environment.

Conversely, there are huge problems in public schools as well. “Teaching to the test,” an education bill written by Ted Kennedy, and weird curriculums to name a few. But there are also great things going on. Kids are being Jesus to kids that really need Him, teachers are being trained for five years (plus continuing education) and then sacrificing themselves in the interest of others despite low pay and constant criticism. In Abilene, our school board is comprised of Christians who appear to truly want what is best for students. I don’t always agree with their conclusions, but I respect their objectives. Not only that, but many of the teachers are Christians who display Christ to students in ways both obvious and risky. I am proud that Kendra is one of them and I would gladly stand her up against anyone who claims that being a parent is an equal qualification to being a parent and trained educator.

Basically, I am a little tired of teachers as individuals suffering the slings and arrows of people who think they are immune from similar criticism. Are there rotten teachers in public schools? YES. Are there pathetic home-schoolers? YES. Are there problems with the public school system? ABSOLUTELY. Did trained educators help plan the curriculum that home-schoolers use also? YEP. Education is not perfect anywhere and to pretend that it is is folly.

2 Comments:

Blogger SG said...

Not sure what brought that on...but AMEN!!

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 10:47:00 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

Val-

I appreciate your frusrations, and I especially appreciate your efforts to speak with some sensitivity, and yet also very frankly about homeschoolers.

Not enough time to discuss the whole thing right now, but... yes, even as a home education dad, I think there are some very serious problems with the way a lot of folks are approaching it. It becomes a "bunker" mentality designed to escape from the influences of the world, when we need to continue to engage the world, although maybe in a different way than families with kids in public ed. When the "bunker" approach happens, there is a tendency to become very defensive, judgmental, and bitter.

I've got so much more to say on this, but just can't take the time right now.

But I like what you said here. We shouldn't feel like we have to slap public ed people in the face just because we made a choice to go a non public-ed route. Something is very unhealthy about that.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005 11:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home