Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Parish Hermitage

About six weeks ago Kendra and I went to the Parish Hermitage. Though it has been a while since we went, I still wanted to share how we felt about our experience. This is the testimonial I just sent to Eddie Parish for his website. It is heartfelt and if any of you are curious, let me know I will be glad to tell you about it.


Admittedly it seemed like a long drive to Parish Hermitage. We were going on the advice of friends, but at the time we felt like things were going well in our family and our marriage. Add to that the fact that we are fairly private home-bodies, we were a little apprehensive about what we were getting ourselves into. In spite of that, we were more calm than usual as we drove up to this little haven on the Black Water Bayou. But even if we were not sure where we were or where we wanted to be, Eddie Parish seemed to intuitively figure out both and spiritually and carefully guide us to the latter.

People probably think I am joking when I say our trip to the Hermitage was the best thing we have ever done for our marriage- including saying “I do.” But the fact is, when we said “I do” we were young, embarrassingly ignorant and making promises that should have been illegal even if they were in the fairy-tale setting of a wedding. Our experience at the Hermitage, however, was one wherein, with the help of the Parish family, we applied a more mature view of the realities of life to the realities of our relationship as husband and wife.

Even looking at our experience through the lens of the several weeks that have passed, I could not more highly recommend a visit for any individual, couple or family to the Parish Hermitage. If your hope is for greater closeness to others or to God, you will surely be pleased when you find both. We were. And our trip home seemed much shorter as we talked and prayed of matters we had previously not shared. We are looking forward to the opportunity to go to Parish Hermitage again soon to visit and learn from a family we quickly grew to respect and love.

1 Comments:

Blogger Stephen Bailey said...

Thanks for sharing that Val. I've heard great things about that place, but you're the first person I know personally who has experienced it. I'm jealous...in a good way. Steph and I will have to plan a trip.

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 9:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home