Saturday, July 21, 2007

Casey Kasem Eat Your Heart Out

It occurs to me that it is rather arrogant of me to believe that something I am thinking is worthy of blogging about let alone worthy for you to read. This time, however, I am putting out a call to hear what you might be thinking. Next Sunday will be a Come-to-the-Front-for-Communion Sunday. I love when we do that- both for the sense of community inherent in the process and for the effect it has on the music. We sing the entire time and occasionally get to throw in songs that have fallen off the radar. To that end, I am inviting people who read this to make requests. I know there are some Highland lurkers out there who do not leave comments but will talk to me in person about things they've read here. If you see me at church or call me or leave a comments I will try to get it into the mix. We're probably only talking about five or six songs so it will be first come- first served and I will do my best to work songs in if I receive them by tomorrow night. This is just an trial this time. We'll see how it goes.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a day off, and should be doing other things, but took some time to think of some oldies but goodies you may not even know.
The first ones would fit a "communion sunday" but the last several are just old songs, mostly out of the old Great Songs "the/of" church. (Hope you know the joke)
"Oh Love that will not let me go" is my all time favorite hymn. I sang some of it at my recital last year.
"O Sacred Head now Wounded" almost goes without saying
"T'was on that night" --old--

Some other songs I wish we's sing occasionally:
Where Cross the Crowded Ways of Life
"We would see Jesus". Melody by Mendelssohn, poetry is pretty
"Where Cross the Crowded Ways of Life" music by Beethoven. Awesome lyrics

"Nearer My God To Thee"
"Purer in Heart, Oh God"
"Take my life and let it be" is nice if you can get some tenor and bass singers who can actually do the notes right.
"Shepherd of Tender youth" Ancient, and still a great song.
"Prince of Peace! Control my Will"
"Oh Jesus I Have Promised"
"The Sands of Time"

Val, I don't think you are arrogant at all. I find your blog amusing and interesting. I tried doing that for a while and just didn't want to spend the time and energy writing something that might interest some of my friends and family. Have seriously considered returning to it, though. It is very good for writing practice, if I ever want to get back into that again, and I hope to try my hand at magazine articles again later.

Do you have altos for next sunday?
Sarah

Monday, July 23, 2007 1:45:00 PM  
Blogger Val said...

Thanks, Sarah. One thing I try to do for Communion Sunday is use songs everyone will know since they will not be in their seats and able to use a book with music. A few of yours fit that, though, so maybe we can use them. The committee has gotten criticism of late for singing too many slow songs so I may lean a bit toward some that are upbeat as well. I have a few other suggestions as well from the lurkers, so we'll see what we can fit in.

Monday, July 23, 2007 4:25:00 PM  
Blogger pawatson said...

One of my favorites - "Come to the Feast"

"All things are ready, come to the Feast, Come for the table now is spread"

And, how about, "We're Part of the Family"

My daughter's last Sunday at Highland, and one of her favorite songs - "There is a Habitation"
Some of her other favorites - "Victory in Jesus" "We Praise Thee, Oh God" - "Jesus, Keep Me Near The Cross" - "He Leadeth Me" - "The Old Rugged Cross"

Thanks, Val

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 7:57:00 PM  
Blogger pawatson said...

Val, thanks for the singing this morning - it was great.

Sunday, July 29, 2007 2:36:00 PM  
Anonymous Andrea said...

@Val - Do you know, in a Google search for the old joke "Great Songs the of Church" this post (with the relevant comment) is the ONLY hit? Odd. Hope life is treating you well, and that you are returning the favor. From your sometime A Cappella chorus songmate, Andrea R. ACU '89

Friday, July 27, 2012 12:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home