Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Bride of Frankly, Slime

I am proud of the woman I married. There are many reasons for that, and I am sure this will be a topic of many future blogs as it has several in the past. But I was thinking of how she is a Light in the classroom as she teaches.

Kendra teaches 2nd grade here in Abilene. It is tough for me to fathom what a tough job that is. Whenever I try to picture myself in such a role I picture that commercial where the cowboys are trying to herd cats. That would be me except the commercial stops short of the part where I am hauled off and torn to pieces by the ASPCA, PETA and Heathcliff (sorry Garfield fans). Where was I? Oh yeah...

Kendra is a class act when it comes to teaching (would you believe I didn't even see that pun coming?). She was telling me a story a day or two ago about a little girl in her class who comes from a pretty rough background. Kendra noticed that she didn't really have clothes to wear and was often wearing things for adults or boys. Seeing a need, Kendra went and got this girl some new outfits that she could wear. Friday, the little girl was wearing one of these new outfits under an adult-sized sweater. Kendra thought the sweater looked very familiar and she commented to the girl that she liked it. The girl responded by saying she had gotten it from a placed downtown that gives away clothes. Well that explained why Kendra liked it. It was a sweater she had given to that ministry only a few weeks before. What were the odds that this little girl would be wearing an outfit my sweet wife had given her directly under a sweater she had given her indirectly? I thought that was pretty freaky.

The fact is, nothing we have is ours and anything we think is ours was given to us either directly or indirectly by God. The ultimate benefactor gave us our lives, then he gave them back to us when we frittered them away and he keeps on giving them back even though we withhold so much from Him.

It all comes down to my biggest soap box lately: Until we deny ourselves, we cannot really follow Him. Until we follow Him, we are reacting thanklessly to every gift we have. So, I keep on trying to learn that lesson and dedicate myself to His service. Thanks for teaching me too, Kendra.

1 Comments:

Blogger SG said...

I was sitting on a Ma TA Tu in Nairobi Kenya when I saw a EOX grub shirt from a grub I had helped plan. I can remember taking the shirt design to Mark Reeves. What are the odds? I don't think God cares about odds. I just took it as His saying "Yes, this is what you should be doing!"

Thursday, September 23, 2004 4:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home