Monday, April 11, 2005

Come To Me My Melancholy Baby

Sorry again for not being a regular blogger. I have had good intentions the last few days, but when I can't get on Blogger, I tend to lose the mood.

I was very impressed that Karen got the mystery song from Kenny Rogers- She Believes in Me. I thought that one would slip under everyone's radar and I would change the world with my little song; I was wrong.

For our new topic, we are looking with songs that discuss:

Air Travel

Good luck. There are a few great songs that immediately come to mind. It is going to be hard to stay out of the fray, let alone narrow it down to one mystery song.

I guess a little turbulence was the genesis for that one. But rather than a loss of cabin pressure, it seems to be increasing. Either way, I think I could use a hit on one of those masks if it drops down.

Maybe it is (1)the onset of Tax Day, my least favorite holiday of the year. Maybe it is (2)just being too busy and the subsequent problem of (3)being too tired. Perhaps it is (4)the ever-increasing likelihood that I will need to find a new job soon. Or, it could possibly be (5)a nagging voice of dread and self-doubt that seems to be louder at certain times than others. Honestly, I'm not sure exactly what it is, but I admitted something out loud today that I privately knew already: "I am in a funk." I hate to use such a clinical term, but with the popularity of people like Dr. Phil, I think the public is educated enough to know what I mean and it has nothing to do with the totally funkadelic George Clinton (may he rest in his piece).

Examining the possibilites listed above one by one, I address the problem of tax day with the fact that even though the returns are due on April 15, the average American doesn't stop paying the government its portion of their annual salary until around the end of May. Now that's depressing! Oh well, it's inevitable.

What about being too busy? Frankly, part of that goes back to the tax topic, but there are other elements at work here that will just have to run their course before there is a reprieve. Until then, some things may suffer (regular blogging, mowing the yard, personal hygene, etc.) but I am determined to keep up with family time. Just tonight I took the kids out for a scandalous go-kart ride around their school. I just can't get enough of those magic moments.

The job issue is one I still cannot resolve in my head. Even though things have been changing dramatically at work, my boss insists my job is safe. What I have come to understand, however, is that even she may not understand what the very near future holds. That kind of stuff seizes me in the grip of panic so fast it is amazing- and I am feeling it already. I really don't think I am a "keeping store houses of grain" kind of guy, but nor am I a "consider the lillies" kind of guy. I know that I should trust in God, but on the other hand, God has given me an amazing gift in the form of my family and I should honor His trust my keeping them secure. Is that flawed logic? Perhaps, but consider #5.

Whatever it is, I am sure it will make like a kidney stone and pass painfully. Until then, bear with me or avoid me (the latter probably being safer than the former). I will be praying about it. I will be trying to focus on the abundant blessings I have received and turning them back to praise. I guess that's what we're all called to do even though we all have to fly that course through the fog from time to time. I guess that's turbulence.

11 Comments:

Blogger Clarissa said...

"I'll Fly Away"

"On the Wings of a Snow-White Dove"

Skyrockets in flight ...
"Afternoon Delight"

"Rocketman" (Elton)

Monday, April 11, 2005 10:18:00 PM  
Blogger Mae said...

"Leaving on a Jetplain"

"Fly" ~ Dixie Chicks

"Flying" ~ The Beatles

"Angel Flying too close to the Ground" ~ Willie Nelson

Monday, April 11, 2005 10:45:00 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

"Airplane Song"
by TJ McCloud

Val, I love you and your family, and you will all be in my prayers.

Monday, April 11, 2005 11:29:00 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Val,

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who goes through rough times sometimes. I know, deep down, that I'm not, but it's good to hear from other people that their lives aren't as perfect as we perceive them to be. Thanks for being honest and open with us all.

As for songs...Fly Away (FFH)

Heather

Tuesday, April 12, 2005 8:03:00 AM  
Blogger SG said...

"I'm gonna Fly" ~ Amy Grant

I understand the Funk of which you speak. Mine usually comes from an overwhelming part of life, that by itself is no big deal, but when coupled with lots of other little things... well it is just staggering. Hope you feel the funk lift soon.

PS and about the job thing... Trust your instincts. You are a very perceptive person.

Tuesday, April 12, 2005 12:21:00 PM  
Blogger Corey said...

"Time for me to Fly" - REO Speedwagon

"Fly by Night" - Rush

"Two Tickets to Paradise" - Eddie Money (how else are you going to get there from Abilene?)

"Fly like an Eagle" - Steve Miller Band

Tuesday, April 12, 2005 1:23:00 PM  
Blogger mezzonurse said...

Up, up, and away in my beautiful balloon..........oh we can fly...

Tuesday, April 12, 2005 6:30:00 PM  
Blogger mezzonurse said...

Up, up, and away in my beautiful balloon..........oh we can fly...

Tuesday, April 12, 2005 6:30:00 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

"Untitled Hymn", Chris Rice.. "Fly to Jesus...

Tuesday, April 12, 2005 11:33:00 PM  
Blogger Deana Nall said...

"Music is my aeroplane." -- Red Hot Chili Peppers

Wednesday, April 13, 2005 2:04:00 PM  
Blogger Katherine said...

Ready To Fly-FFH

Sunday, April 17, 2005 7:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home