Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Observances (Not much News)

Congratulations to Brad and Summer Fuqua for the arrival of their new baby boy! Ethan looks great and Brad is using no shoe leather as he is walking off the ground as a proud new dad. I am happy for them and for Ethan. I know he will grow up in a great family.


Everyone missed the mystery song. It was "The Boxer" by Paul Simon. No, not that one... or that one. The one who sang with Bozo the Garfunkle. I must, however, give honorable mention to my next-door neighbor, Travis, who came up with a very obscure Billy Joel song that also mentions boxing. Can you come up with that one without Googling it? I couldn't, but once I heard the song I remembered it. Nice one, Travis.


Speaking of shoe leaether, I have a size 9 1/2 mouth and a taste for shoe leather. But there is one thing I have noticed about many people with similar tastes, when confronted with a situation of embarrassing verbal gaffes. How people react at the pivotal moment of embarrassment is interesting. Some go from embarrassment to shame, rightfully realizing the mistake that created the embarrassment. Others, however, go from embarrassment to indignation and engage in a blame and smear campaign to divert from the behavior that caused the initial embarrassment.


Today is Connor's birthday party. The actual birthday is June 14 but sumer schedules are hard to accomodate. We are having a dive-in movie. Basically, we will set up a screen and projector by the pool and hope than some West Texas thunderstorms stay away. Then a bunch of goofy boys will be spending the night. Tomorrow I feel certain that I shall be grumpy.


I am intrigued by Bono and, frankly, admire his motives in his efforts to abolish Third World debt. I am further intrigued by how the United States is even involved (let alone the largest holder in many nations) when we're too evil to offer anyone assistance. I think there are ways to abolish Third World debt in a fiscally healthy way, but a mere wave of the hand could have economic and political repercussions that are more problematic than the debt itself. Either way, I am glad the public discourse on the issue is increasing.


Kendra and I went to see "Kicking and Screaming" last weekend. As Will Ferrell movies go, it could have been better. But more disturbing than how the movie was done is what it portrays. Basically it focuses on how out of control parents can get at kids' sporting events. I get pretty intense myself at games. In years past I have been one of those parents who occasionally hollered at the officials but I have been working hard to tone it down. In fact, this baseball season as I have observed other rabid fans and coaches take leave of civility I have tried to remain positive. I haven't yelled at an umpire or gotten carried away this season and I am proud of myself. I do still pace a lot, though.


Michal Kate finally lost a tooth yesterday that had been hanging on way past its prime. When I got home she made a bee-line to me and grinned. She is so cute with her new sunny space.

By the way, why do they call it a bee-line? I have watched bees fly and they don't always seem to take the most direct path.


Speaking of lost teeth, one of my favorite Tooth Fairy stories comes from Maria White. When she was little she had a gold-capped baby tooth. When it finally fell out, she put it under her pillow with a note which said something like:

Dear Tooth Fairy- Since this tooth is gold it seems like it should be worth more money. Thank you for your time, Maria.

When she awoke there was another note waiting for her saying something like: Dear Maria- Thank you for your note, but I have already spent so much money on this tooth that you might think we were dating. Enjoy your nickel, TF.


Well, if you have endured all of this, thanks for reading. The new song topic today will be songs containing the word "SMILE." Knock yourselves out (so to speak).

10 Comments:

Blogger Donna G said...

I enjoyed your ramblings....

Sara Smile- Hall and Oats

Tears of a Clown- Smokey Robinson

Thursday, June 02, 2005 9:51:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I could only come up with three:

It isn't any trouble just to s-m-i-l-e (repeat)/if ever you're in trouble it will vanish like a bubble if you'll only take the trouble just to s-m-i-l-e

Both Manilow & the Carpenters sang this one...You know I can't smile without you/I can't smile without you/I can't laugh, and I can't sleep/I don't even talk to people I meet

Alabama...She kisses me each morning
And smiles her sleepy smile
And she don't have to say it
I can see it in her eyes
Don't you worry about my woman
Or what you think she ought to be
'Cause she's close enough to perfect for me

Thursday, June 02, 2005 9:57:00 AM  
Blogger Deana Nall said...

That S-M-I-L-E song is a LIE! Did you ever decide to smile in the middle of getting in trouble? Bad move!

"She's got a smile that it seems to me
Reminds me of childhood memories" - Guns 'N' Roses

Thursday, June 02, 2005 11:02:00 AM  
Blogger Keith Brenton said...

"Pack up your troubles in your old kit bag and smile, smile, smile ...."

Thursday, June 02, 2005 4:16:00 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I'm gonna smile
'Cause I want to make you happy
Laugh, so you can't see me cry
I'm gonna let you go in style
And even if it kills me
I'm gonna smile

Smile- by Lonestar

Thursday, June 02, 2005 9:23:00 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Just to see you smile
I’d do anything
That you wanted me to
And all is said and done
I’d never count the cost
It’s worth all that’s lost
Just to see you smile

Just to See You Smile- Tim McGraw

Thursday, June 02, 2005 9:25:00 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

We go together like a wink and a smile

Wink and a Smile- Harry Connick, Jr.

Thursday, June 02, 2005 9:30:00 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

You're Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile ~ Annie Musical
When You Smile ~ Annie Warbucks Musical

Thursday, June 02, 2005 9:37:00 PM  
Blogger Niki said...

"When I see you smile" - early 90's love song - can't remember the artist - maybe Bad English?

"Smile awhile and give your face a rest, lift your hands to the one who loves you best, then shake hands with the one next to you and greet them with a smile" -VBS song

Friday, June 03, 2005 1:22:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think I got the secret song...

Billy Joel's "She's Got a Way About Her."

She's got a smile that heals me
I don't know why it is
But I have to laugh when she reveals me

Saturday, June 04, 2005 8:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home