Monday, May 16, 2005

Rest in Peace Senior PETA

Happy Birthday to Kyle and Carl.

The circus is coming to town this week. PETA has been in Abilene with a woman demonstrating topless against the treatment of the animals. I am sure we all get the connection there. (???) Other than a sporting event, I have heard it was one of the worst traffic jams we have had in quite a while.

Senior Sunday yesterday made me think: 1) I am freaked out by how soon that day seems to be approaching for our kids. 2) I hope our kids will have people like Sarah and Mark in their corner when they are that age. 3) I am not the only one who thinks Suzetta Nutt is someone special. Those kids mentioned her a LOT. 4) our youth group travels a LOT. 5) it seems impossible for some of these people to be this old. 6) I really do think many of these kids will look back appreciatively on their Highland family.

We always hear this, but you really never know who is being influenced by something you've done. A teacher from Abilene High stopped me the other night and mentioned that a student in his class had written about me. I am frightened to think about how many have written me off instead because of something inappropriate I may have done.

Rest in peace Corn Dog, Kimmy Gibbler and Llama Spit. We hardly knew ye. (See the other blog.)

The winner last time was Bohemian Rhapsody. I know that song is a terrible story, but it is still a very cool song. This time, we will go for something different. Since this blog has been solidly planted in the mundane, I thought a mundane task might be the way to go. So, give any songs that discuss:

Household Chores.

Weird, I know. Which is why I leave you with this thought. Boyctt shampoo. Demand the real poo!

6 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Yakkety Yak, The Coasters: Take out the papers and the trash
or you don't get no spending cash.
If you don't scrub that kitchen floor
you ain't gonna rock and roll no more.


Housework, The B52s:
I am doin' my housework
Got no time to fool 'round
I am doin' my housework
Cleanin' up and I'm gettin' down


Be Our Guest
Ten long years we've been rusting
Needing so much more than dusting

Monday, May 16, 2005 8:00:00 PM  
Blogger julie said...

Val, I also think Suzetta Nutt is pretty special. We were very close friends in high school. Not sure either one of us would have made it through in tact without the other. I love her.
grace, Julie

Monday, May 16, 2005 10:17:00 PM  
Blogger Joel said...

What corner was that girl on?

Just kidding!

Did you mean Sarah and "Jim"? I know Mark H was a resident (and an amazing minister in his own right)
Also, did you mean Marti? I know Suzetta was great but I don't remember her name near as much as Marti? I could be wrong. (I am about 99.67% of the time)

I will be using the Shampoo line too. Epic!

Monday, May 16, 2005 11:05:00 PM  
Blogger Val said...

At least for the three times I drove by between 12:05 and 12:15, she was on the corner of Buffalo Gap Road and South 32nd. The irony was that she created a bit of a circus on her own. That evening she was on every news channel in town as well as in the ARN the next day.

Regarding senior Sunday, I meant what I said. Which is to say, I did not mean to slight Jim, I just thought that Jim got plenty of props while Mark was kind of under the radar in spite of the fact that the kids thought enough of him to choose him to lead worship. As far as Suzetta goes, I meant that as well. Not that there was a contest for who got the most references, but she was mentioned several times as a person who helped form faith of some of those kids and I thought that was cool. Marti was such a strong force as the children's minister and many of their memories touched on her role as minister and director of children's musicals, but years ago, back when the children's ministry was really coming into it's own, people like the Nutts and Savages and Allreds and Dana Hood and so many others worked tirelessly with Marti and it was sweet to see that three or four of those kids remembered that. We'll see if Boone wants in on the action, then takes bets and go to the tape.

Monday, May 16, 2005 11:43:00 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

LOL, well, the circus could have done something similar to what KFC did. I forget where it happened, but KFC had PETA people on their front lawn protesting, and KFC turned the sprinkler system on them! LOL.

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 9:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stop by every now and thrn to see what is going on in Abilene. It was nice to be thought of last monday. Have a great week. carl

Saturday, May 21, 2005 10:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home