Tuesday, May 03, 2005

You're a Rich Girl, But You're Going Too Far

If you're just in this for the song contest, the topic this week is:
MONEY.

If you are wondering what led me to that topic, read on.


This week a major topic of conversation between a very good friend and I has been family finances. She and her husband are older than Kendra and I (waaay older) and although they live fairly comfortably, life has dealt them a difficult hand in terms of matters of health in their family. Our conversations, though, have focused more on finances and the traps we get ourselves into succombing to the bait of materialism. This person and her husband teach a class of thirtysomethings at our church and she was remarking on how fervently they are pursuing a lifestyle. Many have built and furnished new homes and are driving popular late-model cars and though they are making it work, they are doing so with little or no margin. In other words, if there were a job or health crisis that affected just one month financially, they would be against the ropes.

What are the implications of this? If a family's financial margin is that thin, what does that suggest about their ability to address philanthropic matters? Taking it a step further, if their interests are so firmly rooted in material things, what does that suggest about their desire to address philanthropic matters? My dad always poses questions like that to me. Out of the blue he might ask, "Do you think Jesus would care about fashion or wearing the latest style?" He doesn't just ask questions like that. He puts his money where his mouth is. He has been a successful aeronautical engineer and real estate investor but you would never know it to look at what he wears or drives. Instead, you might think he needs some assistance. Truth be told, however, he is able to generously help others because he follows one of the most basic of Christ's requests: "Deny yourself."

How often do we actually do that? In terms of denying our creature comforts, I would say rarely. And in continuing to pursue such things, are we helping the kingdom and the "least of these" or are we merely continuing to fuel existing trends? If we have $75 in our pocket today, what can we do with it? Our choices might include a round of golf, a hotel room for a friend from church needing to visit M.D. Anderson, an afternoon at a Rangers game, a scholarship for a kid from a struggling family to play baseball, a new shirt, a nice dinner for two or a bag of groceries for several; the possibilities are , of course, endless.

I see so much waste around me that often is not even recognized as waste. But even more sad is the strain people put on themselves to live at or beyond their means when living within them would present so many opportunities for the kingdom. Sunday in his sermon, Mike considered what it might have been like if the disciples had withheld some of the abundance of loaves and fishes for their own use and savings rather than actually using them to feed those in need. It is an interesting question and one we all struggle with. While I am not much of a spender, I am a saver. Some might say that in doing so I am "putting up store houses" (for lack of a better term) and they might be right. On the other hand, I have been able to extend loans to people in a pinch when I might otherwise not have been able to do. Some have been repaid, some are still a work in progress after years of waiting.

We seem to talk these issues to death and try very hard to convince ourselves that we are still confused about the proper approach to finances when, in fact, I think Jesus gave us a pretty clear-cut litmus test. Are we denying ourselves? In light of how many around the world are living and how many struggle to meet very basic needs, the truth is that we probably aren't. I have a friend with four, (count 'em, four) homes. I have mentioned to this friend before that perhaps it is time to sell at least one, maybe two, but have been met with an answer that is basically, "But I want them." This one is easy for most of us to scoff at since owning many homes seems so extravagant. After all, the Son of man had no place to rest His head; four places is absurd. But we are merely talking about degrees, not conceptual differences, when we think about our closets full of stylish clothing, our hobbies, the money we spend on entertainment, the money we spend on dining, the money we spend on vacations, what we spend on comfort, and on and on.

This blog is not an indictment of anyone in particular other than myself. I could try the finger pointing game, but like every fire and brimstone preacher knows, there would be three fingers on the same hand pointing back at me. Rather, I am just adding my voice of encouragement on an issue we all can probably recognize, but struggle to address. On the other hand, maybe we don't recognize it after all.

Another resource for encouragement is a great little book called "The Richest Man in Babylon." It is a story book, but is set in ancient times and offers a healthy look at several financial concepts in an easy-to-read format that can be done in several sittings if so desired. Give it a look and I think you'll be glad you did.

Anyway, just in case I have not bored you enough on this issue, let me use this opportunity to suggest another topic for songs. Let me have some songs that deal with

MONEY.

Good luck with all that. Coming soon: Blasts from the past.

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the thoughts, Val! I'll keep pondering them throughout the day. Enjoyed visiting on the phone with you as well.

Abba--Money, money, money
Money, Money, Money
Must be funny In the rich man's world
Aha-ahaaa All the things I could do If I had a little money
It's a rich man's world

Steve Miller Band--Take the Money and Run
They headed down to, old El Paso
That's where they ran into a great big hassle
Billy Joe shot a man while robbing his castle
Bobbie Sue took the money and run

Go on take the money and run

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 8:09:00 AM  
Blogger stuckinthe80s said...

Val: I don't know if I'm playing the game right, but I'll give it a whirl...

Cyndi Lauper: "We think we know what we're doing, we don't pull the strings. It's all in the past now, money changes everything."

The Smiths: "...but I must speak frankly Mr Shankly, oh give us the money."

AC/DC: "HONEY....what do you do for money?" Is this a family show? I'll be more careful with future comments...

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 10:25:00 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I need some money - Howard and the White Boys
'Got holes in my clothes
so many I can't patch.
Got holes in both my shoes
but at least they match.
Got a hole in my pocket,
but I don't care.
Ain't got no money
to fall right outta there'
(or something to that effect...)

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 10:36:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Money Makes the World Go Around- from CABARET (the movie version)

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 2:12:00 PM  
Blogger Susan - said...

"Money for nothing and the chicks for free.."

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 3:11:00 PM  
Blogger Mae said...

"Gotta little change in my pocket going jingle-lingel-ling.I call you on the telephone, give you ring..."

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 10:24:00 PM  
Blogger Donna G said...

I love this post. I need this post. I fear that money will be one of the great separators of man from God... I don't want that to be me!

Money- Pink Floyd

Here's a quarter-Travis Tritt

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 11:00:00 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Pennies From Heaven

Music, Music, Music: "Put another nickel in, in the nickelodeon. All I want is loving you and music, music, music."

The Gambler: "You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table; there'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done."

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 11:09:00 PM  
Blogger Katherine said...

"If I Were A Rich Man" from The Fiddler On The Roof

Thursday, May 05, 2005 2:01:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home