Sunday, July 03, 2005

Did you ever have a truly nasty experience that made you think those morons on Fear Factor were a bunch of ninnies? Yeah. Me too.

Back to song topics, the mystery song last time was "Grandma's Feather Bed" by John Denver.
It'd hold eight kids and four hound dogs and a piggy that we stole from the shed.
We didn't get much sleep, but we had a lot of fun on Grandma's feather bed!
Nobody got it, but Chris Campbell does get style points for one of his suggestions.

The song topic this time is:
SMELL
In other words, any song that deals in some way with scent or smell or stench. Good luck with the mystery song. Who "nose" what it might be?

I'm leading worship tomorrow. For those interested in the worship order it is:

Higher Ground
Family Concerns: Mary Lee Mattis
Pastoral Prayer: Bob Allen

Come Ye Sinners Poor and Needy
Call to Worship: I Corinthians 2:6-10~ Val
Open My Yes, That I May See
Open Our Eyes, Lord
Open the Eyes of My Heart, Lord
The Lord's Prayer~ Val

Amazing Grace
Luke 18:35-43 ~ Tammy Rector
Message ~ Jerry Taylor (Pulpit Minister from N. 10th & Treadaway)

There's a Stirring

Communion ~ Col 1:15-20
Readings & Prayers ~ Cal Sumrall and Alan Barr
Alas and Did My Savior Bleed

Tithes and Offerings
Give Thanks

Victory in Jesus

Benediction ~ Val

I am excited to hear Mr. Taylor speak. We are blessed to have him for two Sundays in a row as one of the guest speakers while Mike is away on sabatical or study break or hookey- whatever you want to call it.

It is entirely possible that I will lead worship next Sunday with a shaved head. I told Connor if his team made it through the district All-Star tournament they could shave my head. He is actually lobbying for a mohawk, but I just don't see that happening. I think their hardest game will be Sunday night at 8:00 against Sweetwater. Go Dixie!

Just for the record, I got to hear a story of truly un-sing heroism today. By that, I mean a story of someone who stepped up and quite probaby saved lives and at the very least protected someone's future. I wasn't granted permission to re-tell the story, but let me just say: Brad, I believe you were an extension of peace at the behest of the Holy Spirit and I am very proud of how you handled the situation. You are a hero.

If you're still reading this and wondering about the nasty experience and why I chose "SMELL" as a topic, I have had two awful experiences involving horribly offensive olfactory exposures this week. Monday I went out to ranch and discovered a squirell had come in through the vent and died in the dryer. The stench was brutal as one might expect, but I took the dryer apart and did my best to clean it up. It looked spotless by the time I left, but I let it sit outside in pieces to air out. When I returned a few days later it was still pretty bad. Time for a new dryer. Then today I discovered that a breaker had been thrown on the circuit powering our deep freeze. Technically I suppose it is hard to quantify, but offhand I would wager that 30-40 pounds of beef and a pound of sausage and half gallon of ice cream and other stuff left unfrozen for a couple weeks creates a stink that is approximately 11.3 times worse than your average dead squirell. If I weren't otherwise engaged tomorrow, I might have offered to change diapers in the nursery just for the step up.

Later. I'm gonna go snort some cologne and gargle Pine-Sol.

2 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Smells Like Teen Spirit

Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road

Sunday, July 03, 2005 8:55:00 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Smelly Cat

Tuesday, July 05, 2005 10:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home