Wednesday, July 06, 2005

So Now What?

Well, we're out. We got beat last night for the second time in this double elimination All-Star Tournament. It was a tough night after the game going through the beginning stages of baseball withdrawl. Luckily there are several of us going through it together so the support group will be big. We can't exactly go cold-turkey on this because Connor wants to play in the summer league which starts this weekend. Besides that, Connor and I scored some tickets to tonight's Rangers game (thank you Gina and Mark) so we will still be getting a baseball fix.

I know that this is the blustery prideful Dad in me talking, but in spite of the tough losses, I think Connor did very well. He is a great ball player and I love to watch him play. He just gets it, you know? A friend of mine who is a baseball coach has a son who has gone on to be very successful in baseball. My friend saw Connor play the other night and he told me that he sees a lot of potential because his reactions are automatic and beyond what he might think of as coachable. Whatever. All I know is that Connor loves the game.

The winner of the mystery song last time was "Smelly Cat." Congratulations to Chris! The topic this time is DOCTOR(S).

It was a nice Fourth of July. We went over to a building I have near the interstate and had a perfect view, but even better than that, quicker than average access to a clear road home. While last year it took over an hour to get home, this year it took about fifteen minutes. Schweet.

In recognizing the Fourth, it amazes me how popular it has become domestically to hate America. Sadly, as a country we have done better than churches at overcoming racial biases, at extending aid to those in need, at defending the defenseless, at shrugging it off when recipients of help and protection have chosen to thumb their noses at us, at welcoming all comers. Still, we daily take it on the chin. It is always popular to hate the big dog, but most big dogs would react by saying, "Fine. You're on your own." or "Fine. I think I shall bite your head off now." Are there bad things about our nation? You bet. But we are not unique in that. All in all, I think we are merely one nation on this planet among many. Not the most important- just one of the nations on this planet but one for which I am thankful.

Jerry Taylor was awesome Sunday morning. That guy can bring it! I encourage you to come hear him on July 10th as well. I am confident he will make it worth your while whether you like it or not. Services begin at 9:00.

That's all I have time for for now, so I'll leave you with this.

This.

5 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Doctah Doctah gimme the news...

I told the witch doctor I was in love with you...

Wednesday, July 06, 2005 12:55:00 PM  
Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

thing is...from my experience it isn't usually people saying they "hate" America. What I am hearing a lot of and what I also resonate with is deconstructing the notion that America is God's only chosen country and that because of that we are capable of no wrong. There's nothing wrong with asking God to break into our country--by all means! Isn't that what everyone wants? It's just when it seems like it's to exclusion of everyone else that gets me.

Some act as if America is the one and only Christian influence. Fact is, Africa now has more Christians than America and I'll bet we'll see them grow even more in those ways. My neighbors across the street are missionaries. They are missionaries to America from Africa. Interesting.

All that to say, one can still be thankful for our country and the freedoms we've been blessed with while also asking the harder questions about how we portray that to the world.

One thing is for sure, we can only guess about things outside our borders since most of us have never known what life is like outside America.

May God's Kingdom continue to break in and shake us of our earthly loyalties.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005 3:49:00 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Doctor My Eyes, Jackson Browne

Thursday, July 07, 2005 9:21:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm a pepper, you're a pepper, wouldn't you like to be a pepper too! Be a pepper, dring Dr. Pepper!

This is the story of Dr. Heckyll and Mr. Jive
They are a person who feels good to be alive (Men at Work)


I saw the witch doctor and this is what he said, he said Ooo eee Ooo aaah aaah, Ching Chang walla walla bing bang

"Ah, look...daddy-o...sorry, Mr. President...where ya been?"
Use a little english to doctor the spin (Spin Doctors)

Thursday, July 07, 2005 11:45:00 PM  
Blogger mezzonurse said...

.....and the doctor said, "Put the lime in the coconut, drink them all up....."

Saturday, July 09, 2005 11:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home