Monday, April 17, 2006

Misc. Post

It is said that if you count the number of times a cricket chirps in 15 seconds and then add 40 that your total will be the current temperature. I usually try to step on them before the 15 seconds is up.

*****

Easter has come and gone. This was the 13th year for us to do "Arise My Love" at Highland. It really is great to be part of that tradition, but I could not resist the urge to do something a little different this year. And yet, I was sure I did not want it to be "flashy" different. I just wanted to add something that would add substance. I am sorry if it bugged anyone. I was just trying to bring in some of the story before the point where the song picks up. So we used other songs and readings and images to remind us of the love of Christ that took him to the cross. Then we looked at the love that held him there then "Arise" reminded us of the love that raised Him. It's not that I've gotten a lot of complaints (Except one sweet lady who told me tonight she had called her son several states away and held up her cell phone for him to hear and then hung up when she thought it was the wrong song.) Otherwise, that's it. I know it's dangerous to mess with something that is somewhat established, but I really am getting less and less interested in what people think about me as long as they are thinking about Him.

*****

Seriously- what is the deal with braile on drive-thru ATM machines?

*****

Some of you may have heard about Connor's foot. He got hit with a pitch the other night and we ended up sitting in the ER for a few hours. Between the ER doctor and his pediatrician, it looks like he probably had a hair-line fracture in a bone on top of his foot and they could not really do much about it but let him dictate what he could do. No biggie. Whew. We would not have bothered, but Connor never complains and he was still in a lot of pain an hour after it happened. Turns out the last time he was in the doctor was about three years ago for stitches so he rarely goes to the doctor. The time before that was early 2001. We are blessed with healthy kids

*****

NEWS BULLETIN!!!! Spring has gone missing in Abilene. Today's high of 98 suggests that perhaps a particularly bullying summer is responsible. In a related story, local crickets are suffering extreme exhaustion.

*****

Thanks for the Disney comments. I agree with the advice regarding staying on the grounds and getting Parkhopper passes. I am just trying to find out if there is some little-known secret way to do anything. For instance, we have a family of five, which means the budget price resorts are not an option. This at least doubles or even triples what we must spend on lodging. And flying? Yikes! But are there certain non-peak times of the year when both flying and other deals might be a better bargain?

*****

It's been a while on song topics. Anyone know any about furniture?

7 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

"Empty Chairs at Empty Tables" - Les Mis

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 8:32:00 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

"The Chair" - George strait
"You Can Eat Crackers in My Bed Any Time" - Barbara Mandrell
"Sleeping Single in a Double Bed" - Barbara Mandrell (boy, she sure liked to sing about beds!)

Val, with a family of 6, we feel your pain about Disney. Our solution was to buy into the Disney Vacation Club, since we plan on going at least every other year or so. I do think you will still fit in a standard room at the Polynesian (yeah, not a cheap resort, but they often run specials). I highly recommend getting a room in the concierge building. This gives you access to the concierge lounge, where you can eat breakfast in the morning, grab some free water bottles to take with you to the park, have a snack if you come back to the room in the afternoon (mmm, cookies!) and then there is also hot food in the evening. We stayed there one last time when my youngest was 2 (our last time Disney would let all 6 of us stay in one room), and we felt like the extra charge for the room more than covered what we might have spent on food otherwise.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 8:42:00 AM  
Blogger Donna G said...

I heard about your weather alerts this morning! Man, that stinks. I hate the allergens in the air but I do like a little spring before I start sweltering...


Rocking Chairs....Dolly Parton

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 8:47:00 AM  
Blogger SG said...

We went to WDW the week after Labor Day. Everyone else was going back to school, rates were great for flying and there were no lines...ever. I have heard two adjoining rooms at the music or sports "budget" Disney hotels are still better deals than one big room at the priceier places. We stayed at the Carribean and loved it.

Too rusty to play the song game...besides Karen already thought of all mine!

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 10:20:00 AM  
Blogger adbearde said...

So on the whole disney thing... Let me know if you are talking about Disneyland... Given that it is 5 minutes from my parents' home, I might have some ideas for you... and could get you some Cali resident discounts... (Can't believe I am actually being nice and trying to help YOU out, doing it for the kids man... doing it for your kids...) :-) Hope you are well! How's the 15 pager going? :-P

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 7:53:00 PM  
Blogger Darren Duvall said...

The first drive-up ATM I ever encountered was in 1990, at the NationsBank (now Bank of America) in College Station, northeast of the campus of A&M. Getting to it required driving about 100 feet down a slot barely big enough for a car with 12" curbs on either side.

I didn't know if it was an Aggie thing or what for a while. But I couldn't help but consider the relief that a blind driver would feel at finally feeling something friendly after managing to get their car into the parking lot and down that obstacle-course of a lane, then stopping in the right place to be able to use the ATM.

Amazing.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 9:07:00 AM  
Blogger julie said...

Val, I know that this is only my second year at Highland for Easter but I loved what you did this year. I loved the scripture and then the songs and then into Arise My Love. The whole morning was moving and dramatic and yet personal. Thanks for being a part of that. My friend from work and her whole family came to late service with us that morning and they loved it all. You took them to all the right places. I love worshipping with you.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 9:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home