Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Fishing for Bobby

I had another looong visit to the doctors office today. It was a new record for me in terms of waiting; 1 hour and 50 minutes. One great thing about these visits is the time capsule of magazines available and the chance to see if the future they spoke of has become what they expected. All right, maybe it's not quite that bad.

Actually, I was reading one today that was published after September 11, 2001. It was a sort of "where are they now?" feature. One interesting person featured was chess champion Bobby Fischer. In the article we find he is now living in Japan and is openly supportive of the terrorist attacks that took place on 9/11. There are many things about which I am disappointed when it comes to the United States. Current and past administrations have made some moves I would have preferred to have never seen. Culture has taken a cannonball into the crapper. Hatred of political opponents has become so vitriolic that even so-called spiritual leaders (locally and globally) lash out with venom rather than call on the Lord for national and global healing. And people like Bobby Fischer are given a pass as they openly endorse the murder of thousands of innocent people.

I cannot pretend to understand how politics has become a platform for hatred while pure evil has not. I hope that "Searching for Bobby Fischer" is now a description of how the Lord is earnestly pursuing him.

Lord, I am sorry we have abused the freedoms with which you have blessed us. Forgive our lack of concern. I am sorry we as a country have squandered the resources with which you have blessed us and taken advantage of your generous spirit by ignoring the effect of our waste on our future. I am sorry we have not honored the sacrifice of your Son but have instead kept His message close to the vest. I am sorry that we have reacted with complacency to the sacrifice and efforts of previous generations to preserve our freedoms. I am sorry that we are not encouraging families to focus on you but instead participate in making worldly impressions normal instead of unhealthy. I am sorry we focus on the delivery instead of the message. I am sorry we seek to be filled more than we do to give ourselves completely to you in worship. I am sorry we seek antiseptic ways to serve others through third party programs or even government edicts rather than touch lepers with love. I am sorry that in pointing out the foibles of others we adopt their attitudes and methods if not their stances. I am sorry for the times we assume we are superior to others simply because of social standing or education or nationality or race. I am sorry my actions alone were enough to call for the sacrifice of Christ, but thankful that He would have thought that was enough. Finally, I am thankful that my sorrow now will be overshadowed by an eternity of praise to, in and through Him.
Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home