Thursday, October 28, 2004

What a difference a day makes...

The past 24 hours have been quite a ride. Although this at one level is a mundane account of my life, some elements are weird.

About 24 hours ago, the Red Sox won. While I would ordinarily be a pseudo-Cardinals fan, I was actually rooting for the Bo-Sox.

About 23 1/2 hours ago a renter called to say her ceiling had collapsed. I was asleep when the phone rang and wondered if I was still standing with one foot in the land of Winkin, Blinkin and Nod, but I had heard her correctly. Her ceiling collapsed. I paid for her family to stay in a hotel last night and had a crew there by 8:00 this morning. They came to the conclusion that the ceiling had collapsed because the renters had a huge stereo in that particualr room and knew how to use it. There was no real danger. Only the sheetrock fell. Still, $$$$.

About 18 hours ago I woke up unable to breath because I cannot shake a cold I caught in Nashville. Still, I was already awake for...

16 1/2 hours ago my dad called to tell me his van had been stolen overnight. Obviously, given my ties to organized crime (referenced in earlier blogs) he thought I might know something. However, I don't know anyone desperate enough to steal that piece of crap so I was no help. Sorry, Dad. I think there may still be hope that the thieves will feel sorry for you and bring you something better than they took. That shouldn't be too hard.

16 hours ago I took my son to the dentist for a 7:30 AM appointment. That is adding insult to injury. It was his first filling, too. Oh well. At least he got to get a local. When I was a kid I was not allowed to use any pain deadener. One good thing about such an early appointment time is...

15 1/2 hours ago at 8:00 AM I dropped Connor off at school. He wasn't even late. It was sadistically funny to watch him try to spit a loogie (sp?), though. Next time, wait 'til you can feel your lips. Just say "no" to stringers.

15 hours ago I was in the office.

14 hours ago I took a friend to pick up her car at the shop and reclaimed the truck she had borrowed to go get supplies for the collapsed ceiling. I managed to enter Lowe's while on the phone, purchase all the items I needed, pay, and leave without interrupting the phone call I was on. By the way, today's count for incoming cell phone calls- 31. Buy stock in Sprint.

13 1/2 hours ago I used the aforementioned truck to pick up a large antique hutch and deliver it to the home of the friend who had bought it.

13 hours ago I gave a friend a ride to his job.

12 3/4 hours ago I went to the doctor for some relief (finally).

11 1/4 hours ago I finally made it back to the office.

10 hours ago I decided to go home and go to bed. On the way I dropped off my prescriptions to be filled.

9 hours ago, I got more supplies for the ceiling.

8 1/2 hours ago I got a call from another friend needing a ride.

7 1/2 hours ago I went back to bed, but got more phone calls than I could count.

5 1/2 hours ago I left for a meeting to support some friends engaged in addictive behavior. I sat on a concrete floor with low-grade commercial carpet for 2 1/2 hours and heard things that absolutely blew my mind. There was way too much pain in that room and I am not talking about my caboose. Still, it's cool to see Hope crash that kind of party. After a time, I think Hope will bring along Joy.

1 hour ago I came home and saw a cool birthday message on the computer that my wife and kids had left for me. Even after the last 24 hours, I felt warm fuzzies. I talked to my wife, took some of my new drugs and decided to blog until they kicked in.

1/2 hour from now I will officially be 35. Sometimes after rough days I wish that number were reduced by about 20 years, but in the final analysis, I am glad I am where I am around the people I am around. I am blessed. I just hope that tommorow I am blessed with calmness.

6 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

Val,
Disclaimer: since I don't have your email I will have to resort to posting on this blog consequently this will have nothing to do with the above post.

"We gonna have ourselves some decent people over!"

Yes, it is definately in the top 10 and if I watched it again it might knock out Tommy Boy.

Go see that movie dude! Take Boone, Patterson and I with you when you do.

Friday, October 29, 2004 10:21:00 AM  
Blogger Jenni said...

Happy Birthday Val! I hope that your day is much less eventful/stressful and that you have some great celebratory time with your family this weekend!

Friday, October 29, 2004 10:22:00 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

HAPPY BIRHTDAY, VAL! How cool that our birthdays are only 24 hours apart...plus twelve years. :) Have a great day!!

Friday, October 29, 2004 11:09:00 AM  
Blogger Matt said...

Happy birthday, Val!

I'm about to hit 40, myself. I think its going to hurt a little more than 35 did... but 35 was bad enough.

Friday, October 29, 2004 12:37:00 PM  
Blogger Keith Brenton said...

Happy belated birthday, Val! From the time when Angi and I lived in Abilene four years ago, I remember you as a worship leader who led the pack of young men willing to shave their heads in support of Maryanne Martin. So in my (almost 50-year-old) mind you will always be young.

And bald.

Wednesday, November 03, 2004 4:20:00 PM  
Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

time to post. Post, Val, post!

Wednesday, November 03, 2004 4:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home