Monday, October 25, 2004

And Counting...

Well, I am staring down the barrell from which my 35th birthday will be fired later this week. I may try to duck.

It's been a little different this year. I have been busy with other things and had kind of forgotten about my birthday. But when writing a check today, the cashier told me happy birthday and I noticed that it is pretty close.

It's not necessarily what people think of as a milestone birthday, but when I was younger (pre-21), 35 was a mark in time I was planning toward. I was intent on following in the footsteps of my brothers and not being married until at least I was 35. I certainly was not going to have kids until years after that. I was going to travel and do things pre-graduates find attractive. Right about now I was supposed to be settling down and falling in love with whichever lucky girl I chose.

Out of all that, I only got one right. I am still falling in love with that girl, although I am not sure how lucky she is. I, on the other hand, have been blessed way beyond what that goofy young kid could have ever imagined.

It's funny, someone once said that "Life is what happens while while we are busy trying to make plans." That is pretty true. As I approach that magic age I was shooting for, I look back on the years and see that I have been married for over twelve years to the most wonderful, beautiful, patient person in the world. I grew up in a great family only to have one of my own now that is more perfect than I can even comprehend. I have three kids that are so amazing that merely thinking of them at odd times during the day brings me near the brink of tears. I have an awesome job and participate in the efforts of a great church. By any true measure, I am more blessed than anyone deserves- especially me. Happy Birthday? You bet. And because of the way I have been blessed, I need to respond by in turn trying to be a blessing to others.

Forgive me if this post has been dripping with sappy nostalgia. If you run your computer through your washing machine on the gentle cycle, it should be fine. Just make sure you allow it to drip dry.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Happy Birthday ol pal! I wish I was there to give you grief in person. YOU'RE OLDER THAN ME!!!!! Ha!

It was awesome seeing you last week. As always, I wish we had had more time together. Maybe one day we'll live in the same town?

Wednesday, October 27, 2004 12:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! We hope you have a great day. We especially hope you feel better soon. I love my family!
~Kendra, Connor, Michal Kate and Addie

Thursday, October 28, 2004 9:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home