Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Don't Electioneer the Reaper

If you, like I, have noticed the increased intensity of blogging over political matters, you may have felt tempted, like I, to jump into the fray. Let me tell you fray jumpers, it is impossible to stay unbiased. Try as you might not to be, you are biased. CNN is biased, Fox News is biased, CBS is... actually, I am staying away from that one.

Today though, in light of some of the newer polls (by the way, I hate polls) I want to offer some words of comfort and encouragement to the pro-Kerry crowd. I am trying to do this without any bias toward either side by merely relaying some historical facts, but if it encourages some reader, then I have brightened someone's day with my little blog.

Kerry-ites take heart! There is something you need to know if, in fact, George W. Bush wins this election. He governs in the shadow of the Curse of the Presidential Death Cycle. No, that is not the name of the next Harry Potter book (as far as you know). Rather, this refers to the fact that between 1840 and 1960, every U.S. president elected in a year ending in zero either died in office of natural causes or was assassinated. Even in 1980, Reagan's assassination was attempted and very nearly successful. Astrologers say something like a very rare allignment of the stars explains that. Whatever.

In contrast, only one of the 29 presidents not elected in the 20 year cycle has died in office in the same time period.

Ooooo! Chilling.

Let me give you some details:

William Henry Harrison (elected 1840), dead in 1841 after one month in office.

Abraham Lincoln (1860) fatally shot in 1865.

James Garfield (1880), assassinated in 1881.

William McKinley (re-elected 1890), fatally shot in 1901.

Warren G. Harding (1920), died in 1923.

Franklin D. Roosevelt (re-elected in 1940), died in 1945.

John F. Kennedy (1960), assassinated in 1963.

Ronald Reagan (1980), Shot in 1980

George W. Bush (2000), ???

The venom for GWBush I keep hearing in the political arena suggests to me that news like this brings hope to the left. Just think, even if he wins, he might die, so there's that to look forward to. Keep your chin up!


In related news:

Soilent Green is people!!! It's people I tell you!

Area 51 is an alien truck stop.

Elvis is alive and living in an arts and crafts commune with D.B. Cooper and Osama Bin Laden in rural Indiana.

O. J. is innocent.

Highland has female elders!


3 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Talk about a nut!

Tuesday, October 19, 2004 4:07:00 PM  
Blogger SG said...

So I guess either way W is doomed... Out of the oval office,Bush would become an easier target. The Secret Service have their job cut out for them either way. Of course this is a man who has defied history in many ways...this would just be one more.

Wednesday, October 20, 2004 11:10:00 AM  
Blogger Clarissa said...

No venom for Bush here. All I know is I wouldn't want his job.

Wednesday, October 20, 2004 1:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home