Thursday, December 02, 2004

Building Campaigns

BST-
I think I have been on almost every side of a building campaign. I have financed the construction of a church building here in Abilene while a lender, I have been on the committee when Highland did an addition, I have contributed to a campaign, I have been against a campaign, I have even worked for a consulting firm that handled campaigns for churches and other non-profits. I could tell you some interesting stories, like while at Highland when we approached one member about giving to the campaign, he tried to essentially buy a sermon, saying he would give only if Mike did a sermon on a specific topic.

One amazing thing that kept coming up again and again was the fact that so many people had extravagant lifestyles but chose the building as an issue to espouse frugality and superior views on stewardship. It rang hollow when they went home to manage the enlargement of their three-car garage to accommodate their Escalade.

I don't say any of that to suggest that being against a building or building campaign is in itself inappropriate. I think that these and other ways of spending money can be both sinful and insane- especially if our reasons are creature comforts or impressing men rather than serving them and God. But when we choose to fight so vehemently about those things while in the meantime people within walking distance are hurting, what are our motives? Some might say that is exactly the motive- building instead of serving. But might that issue have been around and ignored before anyone thought about a building? Fact is, it is possible for buildings to help. I really think our last effort was blessed at Highland and has borne fruit as a result. We are able to host more people in our facilities than we were before and we now have neighborhood meals resulting in an outreach in our low-socioeconomic area that is truly missional.

I personally fought against some of the extravagance in our plans, like excessively expensive furnishings and trim, but I did not get contentious about it. I fear that many of the people who get ugly about things like this and then say they don’t know if they’ll ever be able to participate again may not have been whole-hearted participants to begin with.

Basically, I think that we need to be prudent with what we call ours just as much as what we may call the church’s since it’s all God’s anyway. He demanded our first fruits and still does. Read the list of David’s contributions when the temple was being rebuilt. In today’s dollars that would be over $15 billion. While that seems excessive to me, I am not going to pass judgment on David about it and say he really wasn’t a man of God or his worship wasn’t sincere. I just think that matters of buildings and things can be handled judiciously. Believe it or not, we are capable of building quality structures reasonably and furnishing them with things that will provide many lasting years of service.

Now to the issue of the campaign itself, even as a former consultant in the business, I think it is entirely possible for a church to conduct a campaign from within rather than pay over six figures for a consulting firm. I know this may be blasphemous, but I have seen it done; most recently at Highland. Often, using an outside firm is the very thing that harms the campaign and its results. This is not always the case, but often- especially in churches of Christ. This background of faith has long resisted organized giving, fund-raising and even tithing. If you know of PR or marketing people in your church, try to pursue their knowledge. It is good to make it a family matter rather than something slick in my opinion and experience.

Well, I have rambled, so I’ll stop. But if you want to talk more about it let me know. Whatever happens, I hold firm to the faith that God can and will be glorified in spite of our efforts or because of them. I also believe the people at OC will seek Him in this process. I hope it goes as well as ours did at Highland.

4 Comments:

Blogger CL said...

Val,

I think you have totally nailed it on the head. As I mentioned in BST's blog, we are in campaign mode here at Port City, our church is a year old and in our first five months God blessed us with a workable facility to build from. However, it hasn't been large enough from the start really, so almost immediately we set on a massive campaign - did I say massive - it depends on who you ask. We are trying to raise a milliom dollars, that's it. To do absolutely neccesary things such as give the Children's Ministry a place large enough to hold Children's worship. Allow the Student Ministry a place to hold their own worship services, I know they should have to meet in a large gym so that everyone can disrupt and walk right through as they personally share their testimonials. Adding some parking, oh yeah there is none. We really need a larger auditorium right away, but we have decided to just go to a plan of multiple services as long as we are there so that we can grow without putting money into something else, build our finances and way down the road pay cash for a building. This all sounds pretty good, right? Basic, not extravagant. Well, we have had prayer teams out "trying" to visit each home. People shut them out. We have had people say "Well if we don't start wearing ties again on Sunday, I ain't giving." We have had people completely question our mission and values because we want to raise money and we aren't even using a large company - we are using Ray Fulenwider, he is charging a third of what our total youth budget is. It doesn't seem to matter though. It goes back to that age old thing about priorities, when you challenge someone about their finances it requires them to look at their priorities, you know the old thing about if you want to see where a man's treasure is look at his checkbook. It is sad to me that some people see being asked to give, or asked to pray with, or asked to join the church in prayer and committment is seen as intimidation. That's my .02 although it may be more like .15. Thanks for your blog, I'll try not to ramble so long the next time I visit. God bless!

Friday, December 03, 2004 7:46:00 AM  
Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Val--
Great stuff here, bro. Chris--you too. Thanks for sharing. I have talked with Mike and he also said that doing the thing in house was the way to go. I only wish we had done that.

Friday, December 03, 2004 9:21:00 AM  
Blogger Serena Voss said...

The only thing I will take off on here is "first fruits". Val, thank you for blessing us with your talents in song this past Sunday. They are a part of your first fruits. The song still rings in my head and that's a good thing. : )

Tuesday, December 07, 2004 6:05:00 AM  
Blogger Keith Brenton said...

Val, I had some similar thoughts at a similar time (see Thanks by Giving) while praying for our siblings at OC during their campaign.

Your remarks about the defenders of stewardship also bring to mind a blog by Matt Elliott and his ongoing struggle with hymn lyrics:
"'I'm satisfied with just a cottage below,
'A little silver and a little gold.'
Lies! All lies! Leave this place at once and return to your $250,000 cottage!"

Monday, December 13, 2004 10:42:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home