Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Hit and Run

This is one of those posts where I only hit briefly on a subject and then go on to something else. Blogger and my computer really do not seem to get along very well so my posts are not as frequent as they might otherwise be. As a result I must strike while the iron is hot and get in as much as I can.
___________

Pursuant to previous discussions of finance, a good question came up in conversation the other day. What should one do if their occupation calls for a certain air of success or confidence. For instance, should a realtor spend a significant sum on a nice vehicle since he or she is going to to be using it to carry clients? Is luxury in this case justifiable since it could be considered an integral part of their business- a tool of the trade, if you will? So much of this goes back to motive. We have talked about the pitfalls of trying to impress others, but is there a difference in making a good impression on clients to enhance one's opportunity and merely impressing others? I think there is a difference but it is one that would be very hard to identify. A healthy dose of soul-searching would be required as well as an analytical approach of whether or not there truly would be a difference in the quantifiable aspects of the business. Good tough question.
_________

I have heard many argue over the officiating of the Super Bowl, but one play that seems to have gone unchallenged was on the touchdown pass in the first half wherein the Seattle receiver's right foot came down inbounds but the left landed out of bounds brushing the pylon on the way. If indeed the pylon is part of the field of play (it is), it seems both feet contacted the field of play and the ball was in control as it crossed the plane of the end zone. I think this was a touchdown. Am I missing something here?
_________

I was promised a full-sized SUV from Hertz while my truck is in the shop. Instead I have one that I wear instead of ride in. Get well soon, James.
_________

For about 2 months now I have been hitting the treadmill for about 40-50 a day about five days per week on average. I do a run and a brisk walk for roughly equal distances until the cool-down. I see very little difference. I am trying to convince myself that the cardio benefit makes it all worthwhile, but I wouldn't mind dropping a couple pounds or inches in the process. (Whine) On the other hand, perhaps I drive too fast to worry that much about my heart.
__________

I know I mentioned this at church Sunday, but sometimes the length of the prayer list just seems overwhelming. So many people are hurting- health issues, marriages in crisis, families in turmoil over matters like finances, illness and teen angst, churches under attack from outside and within, war, poverty, confusion and on and on. Knowing that God has won the victory in spite of our daily skirmishes makes us want only to pray "Lord, come quickly." But I must pause and remember to pray, too, for God's will to be done here; for His love to break in and for the "already, but not yet" to come to fruition. So now, let me just trust...
__________

Sorry, I just got lost in thought. It just isn't very familiar territory.

6 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

Val-

I really like the first hit n run topic. Can I do a "hit n run" comment of my own?

A. Your question smacks of the kind-of practical, down-to-earth issues that Christians are having to confront when it comes to the whole money/discipleship thing. But there isn't much discussion about it because (a) most of the "experts" speaking on these topics tend to be full-time professional clergy, and - as such - can't really appreciate the nature of the question and (b) most of the popular talk focuses on justifications for how richness = "blessings" of God.

B. Probably, a good case can be made for a nice office/car/etc for SOME professionals, because such things are necessary to "make it" in their particular profession. (Do I really want to be taking clients to lunch in a '72 Chevette?) But a lot of caution is also in order. Truth be told - I think a lot of believers will be tempted use that as an "escape clause" to justify a excessive spending. Suddenly, then, any expense that can be seen as improving one's professional "image" becomes justifiable. So, I think you also have to consider whether, maybe a well-kept 98 Altima will work just as well as a new Lincoln Towncar, and whether your real reason for buying the new car is because you just want to drive it...

C. Also, at some point, do you have to start wondering if you're in the right profession to begin with if you have to appear to be wealthy to succeed? I know that question makes a lot of us squirm, but its worth asking - at least - isn't it?

D. (Switching tracks again) In the meantime, the real problem is - nobody is getting down to these questions because they aren't asking themselves whether it is or isn't right to be driving the 06 Lexus to begin with...

I really wish there was more conversation along these lines on our faith community, and I appreciate you trying to start one.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 2:16:00 PM  
Blogger Donna G said...

It WAS a touchdown!!

trust....I tend to get lost in thought with that one too.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 2:51:00 PM  
Blogger Arlene Kasselman said...

Val, I just blogged the other day about an interview I saw with Rick Warren. Like "purpose driven stuff" or not, the interview was fascinating. He was asked directly by the anchor person if it was true that he "reverse tithed." He said yes and then moved on saying it was his families only way of keeping materialism at bay. Translated that means he gives 90% and keeps 10% Phew, it blew me away. He was trying to move on as the intimacy of the giving discussion was uncomfortable for him but the questions kept drawing him back there. He then said that he has paid Saddleback back for salaries over the last 2o years and he still lives in the house he lived in 10 years ago.
It would be easy to look at that and say, "well his 10% is still a huge sum, so no big deal." Wrong! To me it shows the condition of the heart. The Warren family believe they need a concrete ritual like that to keep themselves from the trap of materialism. The challenge to me is then, after I give my 14% what do I do with the remaining 86% of my income to ensure I keep from the trap of materialism.
Still thinking....

Friday, February 10, 2006 7:36:00 AM  
Blogger SG said...

That second paragraph made my head hurt. I'm not sure what to think of that. I once heard Tony Campolo(sp?) say one of the greatest things we can do for the poor is not to become one of them. I took that to mean that we need people who make enough to share and support those who are struggling to support themselves. So if we make our money selling big dollar houses to well-off people who wouldn't trust us if we were driving a 15 year old cutlass or an econo car, are we less able to be Christians? As I said, my head now hurts. ________________________________
Some days when the prayer request lists are so long I start to wonder what God wants. Not in a rebel, disrespectful way... just honestly wondering if we are doing what he wants. ________________________
Good thoughts, but now my head hurts from thinking...or maybe I am starting to come down with Rhett's virus.

Monday, February 13, 2006 1:23:00 PM  
Blogger Candy said...

Sometimes I wonder if there's a way we can walk in victory and not be in denial. Surely God provided a way for us to not get bogged down in the details of life and rise above these issues in spite of them. I'm convinced it has something to do with joy. If we can find and hang onto the joy of our salvation, maybe that joy of the Lord could be our strength.

Thursday, February 16, 2006 6:51:00 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Hey Val..I got to reading everybody's post and forgot what I was going to say. So hey, What sup? and peace out..

Saturday, February 18, 2006 5:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home