Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Sour and Dour Power

So Sunday I'm looking out as we're singing "How Great is Our God" and my eyes fall on two young couples (late twenties/early thirties) and it was a little unsettling. You might even say it worried me a little. There were four people in a row who were not only not singing, but a one had his arms crossed rather defiantly and another had his hands in in his back pockets as if he were a bored teen enduring some torturous lecture from a parent or teacher. I mean, I love that song but I figured that it must not be for everyone. A little while later we were singing again and I look out to see them with the same apparent demeanor of disdain. This time the song was "Blessed Be Your Name" so I decided it was not disgust over the theology or musicality of the songs. It had to be me. I didn't know these people very well, but I knew who they were and at first it began to bother me. Then I looked out and saw other faces lifted in earnest praise- faces of people like Jim and Sally and Dickie and Latimer and Betty and Bill and on and on and on. And I realized, they weren't focused on me and I shouldn't be either. A consistent prayer of our praise team is for us to be used to God's glory that we may help bring people closer to the throne through our efforts, that we may not be a distraction. I need to remember that prayer throughout the service but also pray that I will not allow myself nor anyone else to be a distraction. For those of you at Highland: Sorry about that. For those of you not at Highland: Pray for the folks that have to look up there at my ugly mug now and then.

8 Comments:

Blogger Donna G said...

It is easy to let others bring you down...

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 9:22:00 PM  
Blogger mezzonurse said...

Val, I can remember not too many years ago when I was in my 20's and thought that if the type of music or worship style was not what I was used to, it was wrong and I could not participate. Who knows what restrictive background those young people may have come from?
I hope and pray that my negative attitude back then (and even occasionally now) did not and will not hinder someone else's worship.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 10:31:00 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Thank you so much for sharing your heart on Sunday. Your honesty and vulnerability really blessed my day. I praise God for you and your passionate and humble heart! Continue to walk one day at a time, leaning not on your own understanding, but in the truth and light of the Lord.
Lauren Cunningham

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 8:35:00 PM  
Blogger Candy said...

My advice, for what it's worth - say a prayer for God to bless them richly and deeply and move on. He can and will do it. Then the ball's in their court.

Friday, March 24, 2006 6:59:00 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

your zipper is down

Saturday, March 25, 2006 5:05:00 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

I remember, in my life, some who's faces shown with glory as they praised in song, then went home and beat their wife..I've known some who just the very fact that they had made it in the building was amazing...what's on someone's face, is not what's in someone's heart.

love ya, brother

Saturday, March 25, 2006 5:08:00 PM  
Blogger RPorche said...

I understand what you mean. Those faces hurt.

It is helpful to me to remember my calling, and to do my best to remain faithful to it. God will take care of the rest.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006 11:31:00 AM  
Blogger SG said...

OK you have been sour and dour long enough! :)

Monday, April 03, 2006 1:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home