Sunday, February 19, 2006

Another Hit and Run

I had an event to sing at this weekend for which I had to wear a period costume chosen by someone else. As a result I was met with a laugh from my son, a "Daddy! You're not going out like that in public are you?" from one daughter and a "You look pretty girly" from the other. (It's a good thing they never saw the hat.) I have already returned the costume, but in retrospect perhaps I should have kept it and threatened to wear it when I pick them up at school if they ever misbehave. Then again, there will probably come a time in the not-too-distant future when they will consider me sufficiently embarassing no matter how I am dressed.
__________

I missed Sing Song this year but got the residual benefit of increased traffic and long restaurant lines. Just kidding. I did get to see some old friends, though. Having Nino and Ali and their kids over today was a great but too-short treat. Would someone figure out a way to get them to Abilene, please?
__________

The other day I was driving along and thinking about classic rock song titles that could very well have been the titles of hymns. (I really do wonder as I wander). And I'm not talking about the obvious ones like "Jesus is Just All Right" or "To Everything Turn, Turn, Turn." No, I am talking about some of the more obscure ones. As I started thinking about it, I came up with several, but I don't want to give them away. I would be more interested in hearing any that some chance reader might think of. I understand that the lack of regular posting lately or simply hating to read my blog after that last post may make for slim pickings, but if anyone is out there, throw something out.
__________

I was blessed today by Clint and Alana Logue. Something in me is telling me this guy has a lot more to say that people need to hear. I hope we get the opportunity.
__________

Also, another money topic came up in conversation the other day. Is there a dichotomy between trusting God and saving for retirement or other future concerns? Hmmm. This one could be tricky.
__________

Finally, I leave you with one thought.

11 Comments:

Blogger Clint said...

wow did you explode today are what. I bet you sleep well tonight. Thanks for the word up but I only get in trouble when I talk too much.

Sunday, February 19, 2006 11:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Shout at the Devil"

Monday, February 20, 2006 10:16:00 AM  
Blogger Donna G said...

Glory Days

Dust in the Wind

Taking Care of Business

Monday, February 20, 2006 1:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet

Come Sail Away

Paradise

Monday, February 20, 2006 1:58:00 PM  
Blogger Val said...

How about

"You've Got to Change your Evil Ways"

or

"Every Breath You Take"

Monday, February 20, 2006 2:05:00 PM  
Blogger SG said...

Titles only...not the words of the songs?

You light up my life

Love hurts

You come from a long line of love

Stairway to Heaven

Because you loved me

Monday, February 20, 2006 5:18:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No dichotomy between trust and good stewardship. If you fully trust in God, what do you expect him to send you in retirement? Social Security? It's not going to be there. The charity of the church? It might be there, but what if you had saved all of those years, then in turn be able to bless someone else who thought they would just fully trust God and not save for retirement.

My personal opinion, which is worth precious little, is that it is irresponsible and poor stewardship to not plan for the future with what God gives us. The worst that could happen is that we have a lot of useless money in the bank when Jesus comes again. I'm all right with that.

I think your kids would have been more mortified at the fact that you promised to "do the hootchie-kootchie and be your tootsie-wootsie" if I met you in St. Louie than they were with your outfit while singing. You all sounded great.

Monday, February 20, 2006 5:18:00 PM  
Blogger Val said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Monday, February 20, 2006 9:11:00 PM  
Blogger Val said...

I might go crazy wondering who knew so much about my Saturday night gig, but I'll cope.

I agree with the sentiment regarding financial planning. Too often this concept has been cast in the light of the rich young ruler putting up store houses of grain. Indeed he may have needed to be more grounded but I suspect there may have been a little more to that situation than meets the eye. Often someone so focused on future planning has neglected opportunities to be generous to others. The two are not mutually exclusive. In fact, both may be by-products of good judgement and discretion afforded us by God. Besides that, the economic structure and environment in which we now operate is different. I happen to think that planning for one's financial future is responsible and appropriate.

Monday, February 20, 2006 9:15:00 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

Bridge over troubled water

Up, up and away

Tears in heaven

I wanna hold your hand

All along the watchtower

Not fade away

Don't look back in anger

Steppin' in a slide zone

Knocking on heaven's door

River deep and mountain high

My days are numbered

(And people thought all those years I was locked away in a practice room!)

Monday, February 27, 2006 1:46:00 AM  
Blogger dutro said...

Free Ride, by Edgar Winter
(The mountain is high, the valley is low, and you're confused on which way to go. So I've come here, to give you a hand, and lead you into the promised land.....come on and take a free ride; yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah..etc.)

The entire first verse is a statement of grace! Free ride, baby!

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 5:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home