Sunday, November 05, 2006

Hope Floats

We just got in from the family retreat. It’s something the kids always look forward to even though it comes and goes pretty quickly. It’s a shame, too, because there is all of the planning and packing for what turns out to be about a 40 hour gig.

This year as I was canoeing along the Frio River with Addie. I was looking up at the massive cliffs above us when a thought occurred to me. As amazing as God’s handiwork was manifested in the nature around us, one day it will not be here. Even though I am so enthralled with mountains, they will perish.

But we will not.

Creation is His handiwork. We are His family. In a classic separation of work and family, God has shown how He places His family above His work by providing for us over and above all things. He made a plan for us that existed even before the rest of creation came to be. And that plan makes it possible for us to live with Him after it has gone.

Maybe I should canoe more often.

4 Comments:

Blogger julie said...

Val, I agree with you that the HEB retreat comes and goes too quickly. I always feel like we are just getting started when we have to pack up and leave. So fun to watch your kids playing. They had a great time...it was all over their faces.

Sunday, November 05, 2006 10:20:00 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

I sat and watched you and your precious little girl hitting hands sunday morning. I love to see Daddies and there little girls playing..just reminded me of my Father in Heaven and how he loves me. It was bittersweet, this retreat, first one since the separation and felt a bit like a leper....

Monday, November 06, 2006 8:03:00 AM  
Blogger julie said...

Beverly, you certainly are not a leper. I know that I told you that everyone thinks that I already know you....those are people who love you immensely and think that you are wonderful and how could I miss out on all that wonderfulness? You are part of this family and will continue to be...marital status isn't a required check off box in this family.

Monday, November 06, 2006 9:28:00 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Thanks Julie, it was wonderful to meet you! Your eyes get opened to alot of stuff when you are put in a different situation..

Tuesday, November 07, 2006 6:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home