Monday, August 27, 2007

Credit Card Offers

Legally speaking, is there any problem with taking the postage-paid envelopes that come with credit card applications and merely sending them back empty? I mean, they’re requesting some kind of response to their solicitation and that is one way of responding. I am letting them know that I did not want to apply. And since I shred credit card applications sending it back empty may actually be more a more gracious gesture than sending it back full of confetti. Maybe I should make the message even more clear by writing on the back of the envelope, “STOP SENDING ME THESE!” That would just be a friendly message to help them save a little time, right? Of course I would regret that sending back the six envelopes that came in this weekend’s mail would cost them a little money each time I did it and that if enough people did the same thing they might eventually change their direct-mail marketing practices and save a few dang trees and keep some mail carriers from back surgery and cut way back on the amount of trash going into landfills and probably also greatly reduce the amount of identity theft going on and lower the amount of clutter in my mailbox.

Yep. I would regret that a whole bunch. If you’re curious about how much I would regret it, send me a postage paid envelope and I’ll let you know.

1 Comments:

Blogger Stephen Bailey said...

HA! AMEN! Thanks for the great idea. My brother and I discussed simply keeping all the letters from Capitol One in a box for an entire year, then hand delivering the entire thing to our local office, dumping it on a desk and yelling "NO THANK YOU!" You hit on a big pet peeve of mine.

By the way, it was good seeing you last week.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 9:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home