Tuesday, June 29, 2004

In Style

My daughter Michal Kate is very aware of fashion. Thinking that this might be a disturbing trend, my wife and I try to emphasize things other than appearance as elements of our daughters' worth. One evening when she was four we were cuddling with Michal Kate and drawing attention to matters other than outward appearances. We told her how proud we were that she was sweet to her siblings and friendly to others and helpful when others needed it and thoughtful and kind and sweet and clever and funny and so much more...

"And," she said. "I'm in style!"

Oh, well. I'll keep trying.

I just can't argue with the obvious. My daughters are absolutely beautiful. Of course as their daddy I am expected to think that, but in my case it is extraordinarily accurate. I actually feel sorry for some of the other dads out there who, as they should, think their daughters are wonderful creations. I mean, it's great that they think their daughters are beautiful, but a little pathetic that they just do not understand. It is probably best that way. I mean, it works better for the common good if they just continue in their ignorance even if it is kind of sad. As for me, I'll let the rest of the world keep up the charade if it keeps the heat off my daughters until their recommended dating age of 30.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home