Thursday, September 20, 2007

Things I Learned From M*A*S*H

Part One

B.J. Honeycutt

I am a fan of the TV show, M*A*S*H. I always thought the show was well-written and full of interesting characters even though I have to admit that Alan Alda often drove me crazy. Still, as I said, so many of the characters had a depth not often seen in a sit-com.

Consider B.J. Honeycutt- the surgeon who so desperately resented that the war had taken him from his newborn daughter. His strong emotions boiling just beneath the surface nearly found an outlet when a woman sought a sexual relationship with him in the middle of the Korean war zone, stating her case with the notion that they needed to pursue their relationship immediately because, for them, there may be no tomorrow. B.J. declined, however, saying that he had to live for tomorrow because, for him, there is no now.

Could it be that this wise-cracking practical joker, who threw himself into saving and serving even though he hated the environment in which he did so, was onto something?

Let’s see:
Live honorably, bearing in mind that something better could break in, but in the mean-time do all you can to help others where you are.

Hmmm. Sounds like a good place to start.

3 Comments:

Blogger SG said...

Rob and I used to watch MASH everynight after the news... Now we rarely even catch the news! But I love the gang from the 4077 and Love this post! Great job!

Thursday, September 20, 2007 10:54:00 AM  
Blogger Stephen Bailey said...

Okay, you pulled me in. M*A*S*H is arguably the best TV show ever. Certainly top five. I look forward to other posts. Perhaps a devotional book based on M*A*S*H is in the works? I'd love to work on that with you.

Thursday, September 20, 2007 10:59:00 AM  
Blogger Donna G said...

There have been many since that all could quote, but none was as special to me as M*A*S*H. I loved it and look forward to the next parts....

Thursday, September 20, 2007 3:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home