Thursday, September 06, 2007

Which shows greater faith? Actually, to even ask the question may be so unfair as to show a lack of judgment if not a lack of faith. But as I consider things going on in and around my life it’s one I find myself asking myself when I should be sleeping or working or thinking about other things.

So…

Is it a greater display of faith to truly believe with all your heart that God wants us to be financially blessed… or to be on the outside looking in at people who appear to have won life’s lottery but still say “Blessed Be the Name of the Lord?”

Is it a stronger faith that builds a home on a foundation of Christian virtue and teaching, keeping all other influences at bay… or to be immersed in the world around us exposing our families to people who may even shock or disgust us while we try to love them and still say “Blessed Be the Name of the Lord?”

Are we showing a faith of more substance when we share our testimony with whoever will listen, or sit on the front row at church or write books or articles about our incredible story or hang crosses in every room of our homes… or when we quietly doubt- even painfully- and still say “Blessed Be the Name of the Lord?”

Is it a greater example of faith to pray for the healing of someone who is terminally ill with full confidence that God will heal them… or to believe that God will not intervene and still say “Blessed Be the Name of the Lord?”

In the interest of full disclosure, I suppose when I wrote those questions I was probably doing so thinking I knew the answers. To be honest, I don’t really think I do. I don’t know much about much any more.

Still…

Blessed be the name of the Lord.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

Your questions regarding praying for God to intervene and heal someone are one's that I've asked often lately. In the past year I've seen a friend from college and a student from the school where I teach succumb to cancer despite plenty of people fervently praying for their healing. Honestly, it angers me to think that God did nothing to help them. But even with my frustration and doubt, there's a part of me that believes that God may not have healed them physically, but that He didn't desert them.

Thursday, September 06, 2007 11:35:00 PM  
Blogger Clint said...

Blessed be the name of the Lord

Friday, September 07, 2007 8:00:00 AM  
Blogger SG said...

These questions make my heart hurt but yes still bbtnotl.

Friday, September 07, 2007 11:01:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I think you ask fabulous questions. And, yes, my first response is, "Those aren't fair questions" -- they're a little bit black and white with no room for judgement calls, which I'm all about.

So, my wishy washy answer (as one who has been in each of the situations you described) is: yes. They are all faith. Are any of them greater than the other? Perhaps. But scripture tells me that I only have to have faith of a mustard seed -- and sometimes a mustard seed's worth is way more than I can manage. I think Jesus told us to take up our cross daily -- b/c each day will look different, and each day the cross will feel different. Heavier, rougher, brighter, prettier -- this following Jesus business is an ever-changing journey following a never-changing Lord.

So, I don't know which one shows greater faith. I know they are all faith. And Jesus said that is enough. I'll take it.

Friday, September 07, 2007 3:42:00 PM  
Blogger JKMeeks said...

Val- Thank you for this. It spoke to me. Lately I have been asking myself the exact question about faith, and I have no idea the answet to that question. All I know is that no matter what the situation, God has always been faithful even when I am not. Thanks for making me feel I am not alone in not understanding it all. But I will still sing Blessed Be the Name of the Lord. (That song really does say it all!)

Saturday, September 08, 2007 10:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home